Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't make an unrated smart playlist in itunes

i have 1/2 star ratings enabled on my imac. when i make a smart playlist with "ratings is 0" i get a playlist of all 1/2 star rated songs and none rated 0. i have itunes 11.

i tried it on my macbook (itunes 10.7) and it works fine. but i don't have 1/2 stars enabled on that.User uploaded file

macbook 2.1 and imac 21", Mac OS X (10.4.10), 2ghz intel core 2 duo processor, 1G 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM Memory

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 8:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 8:44 AM

That 1/2 star rating really confuses Smart Playlist, doesn't it ? 😉

Just one song in your library with 1/2 star and that playlist won't work. And you can't put a 1/2 star into the playlist select box.

The best I can up with is below. OK you get all your 1/2 start ratings as well as the Zeros, but ....... ?

User uploaded file

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2012 8:44 AM in response to scox1313

That 1/2 star rating really confuses Smart Playlist, doesn't it ? 😉

Just one song in your library with 1/2 star and that playlist won't work. And you can't put a 1/2 star into the playlist select box.

The best I can up with is below. OK you get all your 1/2 start ratings as well as the Zeros, but ....... ?

User uploaded file

Jan 9, 2013 8:14 AM in response to scox1313

I didn't think that smart playlists would work with half star ratings. However, I discovered that they do recognise the half star, but don't display it in the rule. It all depends on where you click on the star-scale. For example, if you wanted a smart playlist to show all songs you have rated four and a half stars, you click on the left side of the fifth star dot. In this example, it would show a four star rating in the rule, but show four and a half star rated songs in the actual playlist.

So, in your case, Edit Smart Playlist rule screen, click and drag from a star then to the left of the scale. It should recognise that you want all songs rated with nothing, rather than songs rated with half a star. Just make sure your click ends after being dragged past the actual scale. Confusing, I know.

Here is a screenshot of a smart playlist with the same idea of displaying all unrated songs that I created less than fifteen minutes ago.

User uploaded file

can't make an unrated smart playlist in itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.