Skip navigation

multi display options imac

767 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Dec 14, 2012 6:20 AM by njhoorn RSS
roonz Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Dec 12, 2012 8:42 AM

I take it from the configuration of the new imacs that the option to have a second display running on my imac has disappeared, is there a work around for this?

• rkaufmann87 Level 8 Level 8 (40,505 points)
    Dec 12, 2012 8:46 AM (in response to roonz)

roonz wrote:

I take it from the configuration of the new imacs that the option to have a second display running on my imac has disappeared, is there a work around for this?

No, that is an incorrect assumption. The current (late 2012) iMacs can support external displays just like the models before. If you want to get Thunderbolt displays I believe up to 4 externals and with other (DVI, VGA or HDMI) 2 displays. The non-Thunderbolt displays will require adapters (Mini-Display Port to DVI, VGA or HDMI) to work.

• njhoorn Calculating status...
    Dec 12, 2012 4:13 PM (in response to roonz)

my problem is similar -- I have a macbook pro (late 2011) running mountain lion 10.8.2.

The display options screen does not have buttons for either the detect displays or arrangements(tab).

Is this a problem with mt. lion?

Dec 12, 2012 4:18 PM (in response to njhoorn)

No the problem is probably that you are probably not using a high quality connection or didn't follow Apple's instructions for installing a second display. I would first try the latter and then the former. Here is a link to Apple's instructions.  How to use multiple displays with your Mac      ⁃

• svend_tp Calculating status...
    Dec 12, 2012 4:46 PM (in response to rkaufmann87)

On my 15" retina MBP those options are not showing up until I actually plug in a monitor.

Did you try that ?

Looks like a feature. I.e. "don't show options until they actually can be used for something".

• njhoorn Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Dec 13, 2012 7:03 PM (in response to rkaufmann87)

I'm using a brand new hdmi cable (works fine with my pc!) and a belkin thunderbolt adapter.

Please don't insult me by assuming I didn't follow the instructions-- which include using the tabs that don't appear!!!

Yes, I connected the tv as instructed.  Unfortunately the problem is that the tv doesn't recognize the macbook pro and, yes, I did try both of the solutions -- plugging in the connection before powering up the computer, and putting it to sleep and then making the connections. I usually try any and all suggestions before posting a request for help.

As I stated above, the cable works fine with my acer laptop. The only difference is that I need the adapter for my macbook pro - and purchased one from Belkin. It fits perfectly and the connections are secure and tight. I cannot choose the detect display, since it is not there.  I cannot choose the arrangements tab, since it is not there, either.

• Eric Fauque Level 3 Level 3 (985 points)
    Dec 13, 2012 7:31 PM (in response to njhoorn)

To rule out possibilities, can you try your setup with a different second screen to see if it works?

If you or someone you know has a computer screen with hdmi in, try with that screen instead of your tv.

If it works with that screen, then you know that your cable and adapter are working fine and the problem is with your tv having problem detecting the signal from the macbook.

If it does not work with the second screen, then the problem can be with the adapter or the cable.

• svend_tp Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    Dec 13, 2012 7:48 PM (in response to njhoorn)

njhorn: my answer was not directed at you, but the OP. No insult intended.

A quick google search and confirmed on my system:

Enter display preferences

press opt key

and the detect displays button appears

Dec 13, 2012 8:00 PM (in response to njhoorn)

Well considering you're critical of my suggestions and obviously know better than I, but can't figure out this isn't even the correct forum (this is an iMac forum not a Macbook Pro forum) I'm done with you.

Good luck sport.

• njhoorn Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Dec 14, 2012 6:20 AM (in response to rkaufmann87)

actually, it was not your suggestions that offended, it was your assumption that I probably did not follow directions.

as for the forum - sorry, I guess apple people are not as flexible as pc people. I did a search for my problem and this came up. It seems apple didn't recognize the macbook pro reference. (And, no, apple is not my choice - but it is required for both my job and my master's program.)

Thanks for replying, at least. btw, another suggested using the option key to get the detect displays button, which did work for getting the button.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.