Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to restrict apps from moving to folders and other homescreens?

My 2-year old daughter loves to mess with my iP4s and ipad3.

Every now and then apps are in strange folders and

I have restricted for deleting apps.

Guided use is no use, since I have to change from her favorite app to another all the time.

Is this most advanced operating system in the world so advanced that you can restrict apps to be removed, but not to be moved (to folders or other homescreens)?

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 10:07 AM

14 replies

Dec 12, 2012 11:51 AM in response to tonefox

tonefox wrote:

I suggest offering your daughter things to play with more closely aligned to her age. And cheaper for when her interest turns destructive. 🙂

I was expecting this kitchen-psychologist attitude.

Our home is full of toys for her, but somehow Apple managed to make most appealing toy. She playe with other toys for hours a day and also with parents guidance with iOS-devices, but it takes only few minutes to mess the apps. Other toys just does not have tv-shows and all those games our older daughter likes to play. Younger one even prefers to draw to ipad compared to regular paper & pens.

And I guess it doesn't help to give her some cheap ios-imitation toy, since it can't be better experience than the real thing, can it?

Btw, Otterbox defenders prevent the destructiveness.

Oh well, maybe I have to put those apps to folders myself and then it would be much harder to move them away to other folders.

So far I have only taken screenshots of homescreens to remember where all were.

But hey all, thanks for the advices! Keep up the good work! You'll get your points for these!

Dec 12, 2012 11:45 AM in response to Toke Lahti

Just FYI, the only way anyone gets points is if you mark a reply "helpful" or "this solved my problem". No one gets points just for replying.

Anyway, as I said, what you ask is not possible. If you wish to allow your daughter to use your devices, you'll just have to live with the possibility that she may move things around or change settings.

Regards.

Dec 12, 2012 11:56 AM in response to varjak paw

varjak paw wrote:

Just FYI, the only way anyone gets points is if you mark a reply "helpful" or "this solved my problem". No one gets points just for replying.

I was being sarcastic.

varjak paw wrote:

Anyway, as I said, what you ask is not possible. If you wish to allow your daughter to use your devices, you'll just have to live with the possibility that she may move things around or change settings.

Regards.

Yep,

thanks for that.

I was just hoping there would be some workaround method or app.

Sent the feedback.

Dec 12, 2012 12:26 PM in response to Toke Lahti

The best answer you got was it cannot be done and you can provide feedback to Apple. You are not going to see an answer that you like, just fact. However, there are going to be many here that will be willing to provide you with parenting answers regarding something as expensive as an iPhone or iPad being handled by a 2 year old. Ignore that, and just go about what you were doing with the information you were provided.

Dec 12, 2012 12:35 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

ChrisJ4203 wrote:

The best answer you got was it cannot be done and you can provide feedback to Apple. You are not going to see an answer that you like, just fact. However, there are going to be many here that will be willing to provide you with parenting answers regarding something as expensive as an iPhone or iPad being handled by a 2 year old. Ignore that, and just go about what you were doing with the information you were provided.

All you told is self explanatory.

Do you always think people you discuss with are morons?

Apr 13, 2013 6:26 AM in response to Toke Lahti

dear Toke, i have absolutely the same question. my son is 1.5 years and plays with ipad at least 3 times a day. don't let anyone pressure you into cutting your child's time on ipad. you know better. different parents approach this differently, i recently read a great article analysing different approaches http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2013/04/the-touch-screen-generation/ 309250/?single_page=true i am a firm believer in approach No 3. i let my child play with ipad as much as he wants, all game apps are educational and i believe it will give him developmental advantage in future over those kids whose parents banned or limited ipad time when they were toddlers.

How to restrict apps from moving to folders and other homescreens?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.