Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is a corrupted file the version or the master file?

Hi,

When a version was created from a master/RAW file and it gets corrupted, what got corrupted? In other words, can we go back to the master?

I often create duplicate versions of important images in case one gets corrupted - and it's easier than going back to TM to retrieve an earlier file, but I am beginning to wonder whether I am kidding myself.

Thanks,

Raphael

iMac 21.5"-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.2), Pages for iPhone/iPad

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 1:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 4:13 PM

Raphael, that depends.

When a version was created from a master/RAW file and it gets corrupted, what got corrupted? In other words, can we go back to the master?

If you see a corrupted version, the chances are high, the original image is corrupted, and thus a corrupted version is computed. You should be able to see this by toggling between original master file and version (press the "M" key). The version is not stored as an actual image file, it is a set of instructions on how to create the version image file by applying adjustments to the original image. These may get corrupted too, if Aperture crashes while writing these instructions. Then you can usually repair this by repairing you Aperture library with the first aid tools. Aperture 3 User Manual: Repairing and Rebuilding Your Aperture Library

Or just discard the version and revert to the original image by using the command "Photos > Revert to original".

To protect yourself against the original images getting corrupted, it is highly recommended to backup your origininal image files right from the card, even before importing to Aperture. Aperture provides a setting to create an backup of the originals while importing. Keep these in a safe place, n addition to your Time Machine backup. But it is not necessary, IMHO, to import the images in duplicates. Then both copies will be on the same disk, and if your disk fails, has bad blocks, etc. both copies might get corrupted at the same time.

Regards

Léonie

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2012 4:13 PM in response to rshammaa

Raphael, that depends.

If you see a corrupted version, the chances are high, the original image is corrupted, and thus a corrupted version is computed. You should be able to see this by toggling between original master file and version (press the "M" key). The version is not stored as an actual image file, it is a set of instructions on how to create the version image file by applying adjustments to the original image. These may get corrupted too, if Aperture crashes while writing these instructions. Then you can usually repair this by repairing you Aperture library with the first aid tools. Aperture 3 User Manual: Repairing and Rebuilding Your Aperture Library

Or just discard the version and revert to the original image by using the command "Photos > Revert to original".

To protect yourself against the original images getting corrupted, it is highly recommended to backup your origininal image files right from the card, even before importing to Aperture. Aperture provides a setting to create an backup of the originals while importing. Keep these in a safe place, n addition to your Time Machine backup. But it is not necessary, IMHO, to import the images in duplicates. Then both copies will be on the same disk, and if your disk fails, has bad blocks, etc. both copies might get corrupted at the same time.

Regards

Léonie

Dec 12, 2012 6:11 PM in response to léonie

Thank you Léonie.

I answered your response to my previous question, but certain you would answer this one as well, when I deleted my response by mistake, I decided I would kill both birds with the same stone. So Thank you.

Your answer makes sense, and of course Command + M is the way to test how deep the file corruption runs. I used to do the duplicate dowload from the card until I realized what you so aptly pointed to: both are stored on the same drive.

I have also noticed that Aperture is remarkbly slow loading newly downloaded images onto the screen. It can take as lonf as 10 seconds - in other words an eternity. Is that my machines or is it Aperture 3 - I am still usong the same camera.

Dec 13, 2012 12:47 AM in response to rshammaa

You are welcome, Raphael!

I have also noticed that Aperture is remarkbly slow loading newly downloaded images onto the screen. It can take as lonf as 10 seconds - in other words an eternity. Is that my machines or is it Aperture 3 - I am still usong the same camera.

How large are your raw files? Aperture will need to render previews and do some indexing,depending on what additional tags you are using (faces, places). Turn on the Activity monitor (Window > Show Activity). This will show you the tasks Aperture is performing.

How much RAM does your iMac have? And how full is your system drive?

Also your Aperture library may need repairing. If your library has a corruption, it may take longer to access your image versions. If you did not repair your library after a recent crash, try the First Aid Tools.

Repairing and Rebuilding Your Aperture Library: Aperture 3 User Manual

And just in case you installed Perian, check if you now have the accidentally the 3ivx video codec installed:

Aperture 3: May be unresponsive or have slower performance with third-party video codec

Regards

Léonie

Dec 19, 2012 10:42 AM in response to rshammaa

Raphael,

as I said - the recommended strategy is to backup the masters directly from the card, before importing them into any image processing software. This way you will always be able to revert to your original image file.

If you only backup your versions, you will not be able to go back beyond the last edit.

I always backup both - the Aperture library, which includes the versions and some of my original masters, and the original files.

Regards

Léonie

Is a corrupted file the version or the master file?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.