Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail: smart mailbox folder lost after restart OSX 10.7.5

Hi folks and friends,

using Mail and especially the smart folders are a great thing and tremendous help as everybody knows. However, when using it seriously you'll end up creating dozens of such smart mailboxes which leads to the idea: hey, why not group them using smart mailbox folders?

Only problem: once you have set them up, quit Mail and re-enter it again, heck, all of them are gone.... 😟

Now you might say: gosh, old problem, fix already here in this thread . But, mistake, this issue resurfaced again with OSX 10.7 Lion. The reason is: in this thread the answer was:

<<Then I would think that your SmartMailboxes.plist file is corrupted. The only solution for that is to delete that file and it's backup file from Home/Library/Mail, then restart Mail and re-create your Smart Mailboxes.>>

Unfortunately, that SmartMailboxes.plist doesn't exist with Lion anymore.

Any idea what now the fix could be?

pls enlight me. kind thanks,

wolf

(MAB 4GB, OSX 10.7.5)

MacBook Air (13-INCH, MID 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5), (MAB 4GB, OSX 10.7.5)

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 2:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2014 2:32 AM

Hi folks,

update OSX 10.9 Mavericks: smart mailbox folders in Mail.app now work. That is, they don't vanish after restarting Mail.app

reg,

wolfgang

4 replies

Aug 31, 2014 2:50 PM in response to wolfgang wiley

I am using Maverick 10.9.4, and currently I am experiencing nearly identical issue in two implementations where the "Date Received" qualifier is used.

1st scenario:

a) I have a "non smart" Mailbox Folder that through the use of "Rules" moves incoming Credit card email notices indicating a payment is due.

b) I then created a smart mailbox folder that has the "all" condition with only two entries, -

1) the mailbox is in the "Rule Folder"

2) Date received within past 21 days.

Works splendidly....but when closing and reopening the Mail application, the smart mailbox is no longer present.

2nd Scenerio:

a) Similar, in that the smart folder is (now this is interesting now that I am writing this down),

The logic is basically asking did I just receive an email, then asks if that time line is the present moment (or today).

It's function is to inform me which emails were received in today.

Result is that it works until I close and then open Mail application.

However, smart mailbox folder has remained, but the logic has been changed from "Date received" to "Date last viewed".

Which provides a completely different end result

AM I guilty of not reading a rule book, am I trying to use this feature correctly?

Mail: smart mailbox folder lost after restart OSX 10.7.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.