Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Resetting Safari causes problems with iTunes

I frequently have to access a problematic Web portal for work that requires me to accept all cookies for it to work properly. So, I've take to periodically resetting Safari to clear out all the tracking cookies that accumulate.

The problem is this: when I reset Safari, iTunes Match stops working (it doesn't throw an error; the icon just changes to a cloud with a lightning bolt inside).

In order to get things working again, I need to log out of both Match and the iTunes store, quit/relaunch iTunes, log back in, re-add the computer, and wait for it to sync before I can use Match again.

Even if, by some distorted sense of programming logic, Apple has linked the browser to it's music player, performing a housekeeping function in one app shouldnot cause an adverse issue in another app.

This issue has been going on for several versions of both apps, and I was hoping it'd be cleared up with iTunes 11, but, nope. I've even reinstalled the OS and started from scratch on one of the machines when I upgraded the hard drive, but the problem persists there, too.

I'm using Safari 6.0.2 on OS 10.7.5 on a Mac Pro, Safari 6.0.2 and 10.8 on both a MacBook Air and a Mac Mini, and have the same issue with all three.

Annoying, to be sure.

So, after all of that, does anyone know of a workaround that will allow me to clear Safari of unwanted tracking crap without causing all those login issues with iTunes Match?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 2:43 PM

6 replies

Dec 16, 2012 7:15 AM in response to zeraphoto

I only signed up to iTunes Match a couple of days back but am also having this problem on my Macbook Air. I too like to Reset Safari regularly.

As you've noticed, it is the cookies being cleared by Safari which causes this problem. I've gone into the cookies and found apple.com is the one that we need to keep in order to keep iTunes match happy on this device. I've tried to find a way to protect this cookie and exclude it from Reset Safari or Remove All Website Data, but no joy. I can't find a way to do this.

One workaround I have come up with though, is to manually delete the cookies and other website data, whilst keeping apple.com. This may be of no help to you, zeraphoto, as I guess you're looking for a way to do this with one click, such as Reset Safari, but this may be of use to others with less knowledge of cookies.

When you go to Reset Safari, untick Remove All Website Data. This will prevent cookies from being deleted. To clear cookies and other webiste data, go to Safari Preferences, Privacy, then under Cookies And Other Website Data click on Details. Here you will find the sites which have cookies and other website data stored on the device. Simply select all except for apple.com, and hit Remove. iTunes Match will still work.

Like you say though, Apple really need to make iTunes independent of Safari. If it is storing data, it shouldn't be in the general cookies location on the device. It makes no sense.

Apple, please correct this somewhat major flaw.

Dec 16, 2012 1:35 PM in response to SandeepSonnySingh

Hi SandeepSonnySingh,

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I've actually tried that route before, but it's very tedious and time-consuming, therefore impractical to do on a regular basis. It's actually faster to just nuke Safari and then deal with the repercussions in iTunes, which I think is unacceptable application behavior.

I've sent several bug reports and enhancement requests to Apple about this over the past year or so, with, of course, zero response from the mothership.

I'm willing to bet that folks like us, who actually monitor what's being tracked and stored in browser cookies, are in a distinct minority, and the average user will never think to reset Safari unless they're asked to do it as part of some troubleshooting exercise, therefore making this a low priority for Apple's developers.

That all said, let's hope that someone at Apple realizes that this is a real problem and addresses it soon.

Dec 31, 2012 3:46 PM in response to zeraphoto

Again and again I run into this issue. Didn't find this thread when I searched for it a few weeks back... but did find it after another search today.

Here's my similar thread...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4615329

I have submitted feedback as well... but remain unhopeful of a fix for reasons stated in this thread and the fact that I think this is actually more of a broad OSX issue. I have also seen Adobe AIR apps tied to Safari cookies which makes me think that OSX has one "jar" of cookies that anything using WebKit is tied to.

Looks like the manual method is about all we can hope for.

Resetting Safari causes problems with iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.