Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't copy any files from my mac to my external hardware.

Hi,

I have iMac version OS X(10.6.8). I have a external hardware and when i want to copy my files into it, it won't let me. if someone can help I really appreciate it.

thanks

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 4:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 4:48 PM

How is the external hard drive formatted?

4 replies

Dec 14, 2012 1:17 PM in response to pouyaSA_13

Hard drives that are going to used with a Mac must be initialized and reformatted for Macs using Mac OS X Disk Utility.

The format is HFS+ (journaled) format with a GUID partition scheme.

If you attempt to reformat your PC's external hard drive, you will be erasing all of your PC data from the HD.

If you want to have an external HD with your Mac, you will need to purchase one.

Preferrably an external drive that uses FireWire 800 or USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt connections.

Sep 1, 2015 12:05 AM in response to pouyaSA_13

I have been copying files from my MacBook Pro to multiple external drives without any issues until recently. Now whenever I connect an external HDD to my mac via the USB port the HDD permission reads at "Read Only", which was not what I use to get.

My colleagues and staff have no issues transferring files from their MAC to the external HDD. This is critical as I can't transfer files, nor backup my MacBook Pro any more.

Please help!

I can't copy any files from my mac to my external hardware.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.