Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Smart Playlists broken and totally unstable

I am not able to create a new smart playlist in iTunes 11. Is anyone else. Now I did subscribe (stupidly) to iTunes Match just after upgrading so that could be part of my problem, but I doubt it. Can anyone else create a new smart playlist in iTunes 11.

iMac, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 6:12 PM

9 replies

Dec 12, 2012 7:14 PM in response to Joe Gramm

Thanks so much Joe. Are you subscribed to iTunes Match? (just trying to ensure the environmentals are the same). I created a smart playlist (like I have a thousand times before), and after specifying the criteria, I get no songs. I tested by recreated existing ones, by cutting and pasting the criteria. Still no luck. I am begining to suspect that iTunes match may be playing a role.

Thanks, Michael

Dec 15, 2012 6:12 AM in response to Michael Josephs

Michael,

Non-itunes match itunes 11 user here. came across this thread after thinking i was going crazy as to why a simple genre based smart playlist i was creating was not populating. seems you and I are not alone in this issue. I got one playlist to populate based on artist but no clue what i did to make it work. now trying to create a smart playlist for "Holiday" and nothing despite seeing 107 songs in my library under the "Holiday" genere. ugh!

Trifster

Feb 20, 2013 1:29 PM in response to Michael Josephs

I see this same glitch

I tried creating a new smart playlist based on genre

and I can not get the Smart Playlist to populate- zero, zip, nada, nothing. Hmmm?

iTunes 11.0.2

So what I had to do, was delete the smart playlist.

Select all my music from the main library, then

create again my new smart playlist- (control click) to edit rules.

Now it populated as expected.

Mar 6, 2013 1:33 PM in response to Michael Josephs

I've created smart playlists dozens of times in the past, without issue. Today I created a new smart playlist and it was empty -- not a single song.

I tried everything I could think of, to no avail. After reading this thread, here's what finally worked:

Store -> Turn Off iTunes Match.

Presto! Suddenly the smart playlist that was empty now has 124 songs in it.

iTunes 10.6.1

Smart Playlists broken and totally unstable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.