Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I just got one of the new iMac. following the on screen instructions to do migration assist. I guess it connected via wifi to my old iMac. now it seems to have stopped. what can I do to not mess it all up? how long will it take on wifi?

I just got a new iMac. was following the onscreen instructions to do migration assistance and I guess it connected to my old iMac via wi fi. It never instructed me to connect via firewire. Now it seems to have stopped. what can I do that won't completely mess it up? how Long will it take to do over wi fi?

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 8:48 PM

4 replies

Dec 12, 2012 8:53 PM in response to elegantlyput

Do not use Wi-Fi, that is the slowest possible method. You can re-do Migration Assistant however this time get yourself the proper Firewire cables. If you have a new late 2012 iMac you will need a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter to connect to either your old iMac in Target Display Mode or if you have backed up the old machine using a bootable clone (SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner) or Time Machine you can connect to the external HD. Please provide more complete info, such as what the old machine is, the verison of OS X on it, whether it's backed up to an external HD and if so what connections the EHD has.

Dec 12, 2012 9:03 PM in response to rkaufmann87

I have a late 2006 iMac. It had the latest update last I can remember was 10.6 but it may be more recent than that. I am afraid to mess with either computer. how can I safely stop the migration assistance? it hasn't moved in over 2 hours so I am pretty sure it has lost connection. I have FireWire/FireWire cable can I use that? That is what I was prepared to use but it never prompted me to connect the cable.

Dec 12, 2012 9:04 PM in response to rkaufmann87

I have a late 2006 iMac. It had the latest update last I can remember was 10.6 but it may be more recent than that. I am afraid to mess with either computer. how can I safely stop the migration assistance? it hasn't moved in over 2 hours so I am pretty sure it has lost connection. I have FireWire/FireWire cable can I use that? That is what I was prepared to use but it never prompted me to connect the cable.

I just got one of the new iMac. following the on screen instructions to do migration assist. I guess it connected via wifi to my old iMac. now it seems to have stopped. what can I do to not mess it all up? how long will it take on wifi?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.