Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CONVERT PAGES DOCUMENTS 08 TO 09

How do I convert a document produced on Pages 08 into an 09 Document?

I have 2 Pages icons in the Side Bar (08 & 09)

Does it not do it automatically or do I have to create a New 09 Doc, paste the 08 Doc accross and save it under 09.

Advice appreciated

Thanks

Patman

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 10:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 12:06 AM

If you don't want the old Pages '08 just trash the iWorks '08 folder in Applications.

Any '08 document opened and then saved from '09 will be an '09 document. Nothing forcing you to update them until you use them.

Peter

7 replies

Jan 10, 2014 3:51 AM in response to Eggrug

Eggrug

You have 2 versions of Pages on your Mac.

Pages 5 is in your Applications folder.

Pages '08 is in your Applications/iWork folder.

You are alternately opening the wrong versions.

Pages '09/'08 can not open Pages 5 files and you will get the warning that you need a newer version.

Pages 5 can open Pages '09 files but may damage/alter them. It can not open Pages '08 files at all.

Once opened and saved in Pages 5, Pages '09 files can not be opened in Pages '09.

Anything that is saved to iCloud is also converted to Pages 5 files.

All Pages files no matter what version and incompatibility have the same extension .pages.

Pages 5 files are now only compatible with themselves on a very restricted set of hardware, software and Operating Systems and will not transfer correctly on any other server software than iCloud.

Note: Apple has removed over 90 features from Pages 5 and added many bugs:

http://www.freeforum101.com/iworktipsntrick/viewforum.php?f=22&sid=3527487677f0c 6fa05b6297cd00f8eb9&mforum=iworktipsntrick

Peter

Oct 4, 2015 3:46 PM in response to Patman1966

Batman, Eggrug, and to all whom it may concern...

With the Pages format being proprietary to Apple, and the lock out that Apple creates with access to documents from old versions of their updated software, it is amazing to me that anybody could not feel betrayed by Apple. The simple fact of the matter is that with Pages, if you want to stay compatible with the "next" version, your only hope to open the Pages '08 documents in the current versions, is to save your documents to Microsoft Word format, of all things. Of course you will need to do this before you get rid of Pages '08. Because while Apple locks out the import ability to its own Pages format of older versions, it ironically preserves the ability to import old versions of Word documents. How's that for p!ssing in the wind?

Yes I feel extremely betrayed by Apple, here. So I've picked up my pieces and invested in another platform -- Swift Publisher.

Oct 4, 2015 4:10 PM in response to Patman1966

Adam,

The point of the Apple Support Communities is not to post complaints, but to post legitimate questions that can receive a solution. Apple is not reading your post, only others like you that are already aware of Apple's position in this space. If you have constructive feedback that you would like to send directly to Apple's Pages product team, then use the Pages menu item ▸ Provide Pages Feedback. Or, provide answers to posts that help others resolve their posted issue.

Nov 4, 2015 6:04 AM in response to Adam Berkey

I've been using Pages to make posters and some easy documents for my teaching projects. Mostly a combination of pictures and text in a nice way. Have been quite satisfied with Pages for all these years, but felt lack of tools for actual publishing. Especially as it became more like text editing rather than publishing.... as it was before. Tried Swift Publisher and Printworks (more advanced), decided to stick to Swift Publisher for all publishing work, leaving Pages solely for text.

CONVERT PAGES DOCUMENTS 08 TO 09

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.