Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need to upgrade my hard drive

I have a 320gb hard drive and I want to upgrade to a 1TB or a 750gb, but I'm not sure which drive to get.

I have a mid 2011 13' Macbook Pro.

2.3 GHz Intel Core i5

8GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Can anyone make any recommendations?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 10:47 PM

6 replies

Dec 12, 2012 10:53 PM in response to stevem902

Just go shopping at Crucial or OWC - both have some very good internal drives. Just make sure that they are the right form factor - 2.5" x 9.5mm.

Personally I've had trouble with Western Digital but any of the Seagate drives should work just fine - you might actually want to look at Seagate's 'hybrid' drive: a small portion of SSD, a large portion of spinning platters.

Good luck,

Clinton

Dec 13, 2012 7:42 AM in response to stevem902

I guess you'll be gunning for a 1TB unit then. Just be sure to get an external enclosure for it so you can power it up and connect it to the MBP together with the internal and clone the contents out. If you've kept your current drive healthy and clutter-free, that's the quickest way to get the new drive in line and operational, vs. the major involvement a from-scratch install implies. And once you do the swap, you get to keep the old drive as external storage.

Consider getting a FireWire enclosure, since our model doesn't yet have the fancy USB 3 ports and Thunderbolt is too darn expensive.

I need to upgrade my hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.