Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where is the mail app log?

I am getting a message that a message is unable to be sent.

Port is correct.

Auth is none.

I'd like to see what response is being given by the SMP server, but running up console, I can't seem to find where the mail app is logging the problem it is having.

Dual 2.5, 20" Imac G5, 17" Intel Imac 4 x Minis, Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Posted on Apr 27, 2006 1:08 AM

9 replies

Apr 27, 2006 4:42 AM in response to Ian_W

As far as I know mail doesn't log those. It is generally a matter of either connectivity (eg I get it when trying to send a message via a server, but the part of the LAN I am currently using is blocked from accessing that server) or of a valid email address, where the server is able to verify the address because it is local to the server. It may also occur where the both the sender and recipient are outside the domain of the server, but that doesn't sound like your problem.

If you really want to see what is happening, you will need to run a network sniffer (eg ethereal or MacSniffer).

User uploaded fileAK

Apr 27, 2006 5:00 AM in response to Ian_W

You can always talk directly to the server with telnet! Bring up a terminal window, and try this:

telnet smtp.yourisp.com 25
trying ...
connected to smtp.yourisp.com
escape character is ...
220 smtp.yourisp.com ...
HELO
250 smtp.yourisp.com ...
MAIL FROM: <youremailaddess>
250 sender OK
RCPT TO: <targetemailaddress>
250 recipient OK
QUIT

You type the bolded bits. If any of the responses are not 220/250 that is likely your problem.

User uploaded fileAK

Apr 27, 2006 3:52 PM in response to Ian_W

Unfortunately, there is no mail client that has all the features we want -- why would you be using Mail otherwise? 🙂

Thus, there are only three things that you can do about this: (1) switch to another mail client that has the features you want most, (2) use whatever mail client you prefer most of the time and use others for specialized tasks the one you prefer doesn't handle, and/or (3) send feedback to Apple at http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/.

Anything else is barking up the wrong tree.

Where is the mail app log?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.