Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie '11 automatically cropping clips

I don't want the clips cropped.

iMovie '11

OS X 10.7.5

I've followed the instructions here https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2544581 My project is set to

Aspect Ratio: Widescreen

Frame Rate: 30 fps - NTSC

Initial Video Placement "Fit in Frame".

Original clip User uploaded file

About the same time in the project User uploaded file

User uploaded file

I've tried changing Aspect Ratio, Video Placement to Crop, Ken Burns. It's all the same.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 4:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 5:29 AM

Usually, this is because you are using automatic image stabilization. Stabilization works by zooming in.

You can open the clip inspector and turn off stabilization. Or you can move the slider to a lower level of zoom.

7 replies

Dec 13, 2012 6:48 AM in response to BNiice

I am confused why your photo shows "Add clip to project to apply". You should be selecting a clip in the Project and looking at this inspector.

If you have not created a new project, do so and drag a clip into it. If you already have a project, and this is the inspector, I am baffled. I didn't think the Inspector worked for Event clips, but maybe it does.

Dec 13, 2012 7:38 AM in response to BNiice

my assumption is, your original clip looks like this:

User uploaded file

you're stumbling over:

how does SDef (=NTSC) handle widescreen?

two options:

• letterboxing

• anamorph 16:9

in your case, my assumption is, iMovie gets lost in dedecting, what aspect ratio is meant:

it zooms the letterboxed 4:3 to make it fit in a anamorphic 4:3 aka '16:9' project.

so, in step#1 you lose the bars (green) - that's fine, exept you lose your point guard 😉

in a second process (blue), the content gets cropped to fit 16:9 ....except you're loosing the basket. 😮

------------------

I would give the free tool Mpeg Streamclip a chance to 'preprocess' the clip, to crop the bars but make it anamorphic (squeezed).- hopefully, appleman understands this advice and can explain it to you in plain English 😁

Dec 13, 2012 8:09 AM in response to BNiice

There are two main transistor technologies used in camcorder sensors, CCD (charge-coupled device) and CMOS (complementary metal oxide semiconductor). CCD is best but more expensive. CMOS is much less expensive and almost all consumer camcorders use this. With CMOS, when you apply stabilization, you get an effect called Rolling Shutter. Your footage will look a bit like jello. This setting can correct for that.

Like the stabilization, you can do the analysis, and then either apply it or not. You can see if it makes it better, but it is nondestructive to your original clips. No harm in trying. It just takes some time to do the analysis.

iMovie '11 automatically cropping clips

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.