Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My macbook USB connections are 1.0, not 2.0.

My computer which is a Macbook using OS X will not recognize my new iphone 5 as a device. I cannot also get to my iPhone in ITunes. It does update it though. I have updated the ITunes site and tried all the troubleshooting tips. Finally found the little mention of the differences in the USB ports and the connector that comes with the iPhone. I imagine iPhone thought ahead and there is some sort of adapter available that I can BUY. Smart Apple.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 6:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 7:10 AM

All Macbooks came with USB2.

Which version of iTunes are you running? That will make a difference. It has to be iTunes 10.7 or later (iTunes 11).

iPhone, iPad, iPod touch: Device not recognized in iTunes for Mac OS X - http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1591

3 replies

Dec 13, 2012 7:21 AM in response to Limnos

I am running iTunes 11. When I go into About This Mac and More Info and System report, then USB this is what I see:

BRCM2070 Hub:

Product ID: 0x4500

Vendor ID: 0x0a5c (Broadcom Corp.)

Version: 1.00

Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Apple Inc.

Location ID: 0x06100000 / 2

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 94

While researching my iPhone problems on the apple site, it says that the USB version on the computer must be 2.0 in order for the iPhone to be recognized. As you can see, unless I don't understand this...which is possible, my version is 1.00

Dec 13, 2012 7:39 AM in response to Francinefromfl

Go to everymac.com and check computer specifications. Every Macbook there uses USB2. It's only ancient computers like my 2002 G4 that have USB1. Still, yours does seem to be reporting USB1 speeds. You may need to post on a hardware forum to see why it might be doing that. I am presuming you don't have any fancy setup such as plugging your phone into an external keyboard running to your Mac, or using an external USb hub?

My macbook USB connections are 1.0, not 2.0.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.