Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Drag and drop manually ALBUMS in iPhoto 11 (9.4.2) !?

I want to again be able to drag and drop manually ALBUMS in iPhoto 11 (9.4.2) !? to a place I find correct ... I used to be able to do that in previous versions of iPhoto so when dragging an ALBUM in between two other ALBUMS a red line would appear and I could drop it there ... not anymore though ... am I missing something in the lates iPhoto or is this a bug!?!?

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 8:10 AM

12 replies

Feb 12, 2013 1:49 PM in response to Henrik_Denmark

As the shown in the photo in the post above, the answer is NO, I no longer get the line... it just trys to force me to create a folder for the album I am moving. It USED to show the line, and everything worked great then. The problem suddenly appeared about a month ago, but only in ONE of several iPhoto Libraries I have. All the other libraries work just fine when I got to manualy place/sort an album, but not the one that I am having trouble with. And 'esoteric' or not, it's really annoying, and is a bug/problem and it would be nice if someone had some legitmate suggestions for how to fix with it.

Feb 12, 2013 6:02 PM in response to gospyro

Try the following:

1 - delete the iPhoto preference file, com.apple.iPhoto.plist, that resides in your

User/Home/Library/ Preferences folder.

2 - delete iPhoto's cache file, Cache.db, that is located in your

User/Home/Library/Caches/com.apple.iPhoto folder (Snow Leopard and Earlier).

User uploaded file

or with Mt. Lion from the User/Library/Containers/com.apple.iPhoto/
Data/Library/Caches/com.apple.iPhoto
folder

User uploaded file

3 - launch iPhoto and try again.

NOTE: If you're moved your library from its default location in your Home/Pictures folder you will have to point iPhoto to its new location when you next open iPhoto by holding down the Option key when launching iPhoto. You'll also have to reset the iPhoto's various preferences.

NOTE 2: In Lion and Mountain Lion the Library folder is now invisible. To make it permanently visible enter the following in the Terminal application window: chflags nohidden ~/Library and hit the Enter button - 10.7: Un-hide the User Library folder.

Feb 12, 2013 8:19 PM in response to Henrik_Denmark

Thanks Old Toad... unfortunately, (if I did it right), it didn't work. My other iPhoto libraries are working fine, but the one will still not let me move albums around,

I'd just make a new library and move stuff over, but I've done a lot of sorting and labeling, and I really don't want to loose all that. Better to just work around the problem until I find a solution. But thanks!

p.s. Still open to ideas!!!

Feb 13, 2013 9:09 AM in response to gospyro

Using iPhoto Library Manager to Rebuild Your iPhoto Library

• Download iPhoto Library Manager and launch.
  • Click on the Add Library button,

User uploaded file

navigate to your Home/Pictures folder and select your iPhoto Library folder.

• Now that the library is listed in the left hand pane of iPLM, click on your library and go to the Library ➙ Rebuild Library menu option

User uploaded file

• In the next window name the new library and select the location you want it to be placed.
  • Click on the Create button.

• Note: This creates a new library based on the LIbraryData.xml file in the library and will recover Events, Albums, keywords, titles and comments. However, books, calendars, cards and slideshows will be lost. The original library will be left untouched for further attempts at fixing the problem or in case the rebuilt library is not satisfactory.

Or you can use the paid version of iPhoto Library Manager to copy the Events and albums from the problem library to the new library or just merge the problem library into the new library. But the books, calendars, cards, etc. can't be copied just like in the rebuild function. I'd try the rebuild first as you can do it with the free, demo version.

Drag and drop manually ALBUMS in iPhoto 11 (9.4.2) !?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.