Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what format should my usb drives be for boot camp

I am Installing Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 on my late 2012 Mac Mini. I have the S/W on my desktop as an .iso format, and my test to check if Boot Camp would find it worked. Now I will be getting an USB drive (my 4GB wasn't big enough so will use it for the drivers), so before going on this process trying to cover all bases. I'm assuming an 8GB thumb drive should be enough. I'm also assuming the 4GB drive formatted in FAT should be ok since Windows 7 has to read it, does the drive for the disk image have to be MAC Ext'd or FAT?

Any help on this is appreciated, I'm pretty new to all this stuff and hate running into problems during this process will be hairy! Any other pointers is greatly appreciated.

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 10:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 10:26 AM

From the Bootcamp manual, p.4:

Boot Camp Assistant erases the flash drive, and copies to it the Windows 7 ISO image and software drivers that let Windows work with your Mac hardware.

Just plug in the USB stick and let Boot Camp Assistant do the rest.

11 replies

Dec 13, 2012 3:32 PM in response to VikingOSX

Well I think that's new to 2012 Macs. I have plenty of 2011 Mac Minis using 32 Bit Windows. I was just wondeirng if Jdemelo11 managed to find some work around for the 2012 models. I'm guessing it'd be some combination of creating a Windows install USB from 2011 mini and then individualing downloading the necessary drivers if Boot Camp refuses to install them all.

Dec 22, 2012 10:26 PM in response to jdemelo11

Got Win 7 64bit installed with a few problems.

From the start I'm unable to use my wireless magic mouse. It shows up under Bluetooth devices, but can't get it to sync up.

After getting the wireless keyboard synced & working had a number of updates to install. After that the keyboard is not functioning and can't be synced.

Any suggestions, not of the questions I put into this section came back with a solution, might be the question I ask? Can someone link a post in the discussion forum to solve this.

Message was edited by: jdemelo11

what format should my usb drives be for boot camp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.