Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to restore Apple TV to factory default

My Apple TV unit was updated and now cannot connect to wifi or network via cable. I have tried to restore via the remote & via usb and itunes but with no success....Can someone help!

Apple TV, Networking, Wifi,

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 10:46 AM

3 replies

Dec 18, 2012 6:55 AM in response to JMAbeshaus

Apple TV 3rd gen, I have managed to restore using iTunes 10, but could not get it to restore with iTunes 11. The restore places the latest version of 5.1.1 & os 6 on the Apple TV instead of the original factory software. Everything worked fine with the original software but since it has been updated it will not see any wireless networks or wired network.

How can I get my network to be seen again?

Dec 18, 2012 9:20 AM in response to glenvdmerwe

You may well run into problems using an earlier version of iTunes if a later version has been used previously.

To restore your Apple TV 3, get yourself a micro USB cable (sold separately), you can restore your Apple TV from iTunes:

1. Remove ALL cables from Apple TV. (if you don't you will not see Apple TV in the iTunes Source list)
  2. Connect the micro USB cable to the Apple TV and to your computer.
  3. Reconnect the power cable (only for Apple TV 3)
  4. Open iTunes.
  5. Select your Apple TV in the Source list, and then click Restore.

If when you choose restore you get a message that the device cannot be found, download the file below

Apple TV Software Restore 5.1.1 (3rd generation)

Then hold down the option key while choosing restore and select the downloaded file when prompted.

How to restore Apple TV to factory default

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.