Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Everytime I try to burn an iMovie project to a DVD with iDVD, the disc is ejected during the Burning and Multiplexing phase before it's completed.

For months I have been unable to burn any iMovie project to a DVD using iDVD. During the Burning and Multiplexing phase the disc is ejected before it's complete. I went the Genius Bar and after many tests I was told that my disc drive was pretty much dead. The person that helped recommended that I buy an external DVD burner from amazon. I bought the new drive and I can now burn files, but I'm still encountering the same issue burning a movie. Does anyone have any idea what'g going on? I'm extremely frustrated at this point!

iMovie '11, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 11:16 AM

2 replies

Dec 13, 2012 12:20 PM in response to skiingnow4376

Read this treatise on Multiplexing by Bengt Wärleby: HT1645 I was burning a DVD and the...: Apple Support Communities.

Follow this workflow to help ensure the best quality final product:

Once you have the project as you want it save it as a disk image via the File ➙ Save as Disk Image menu option. This will separate the encoding process from the burn process.

To check the encoding mount the disk image and launch DVD Player and play it. If it plays OK with DVD Player the encoding was good.

Then burn to disk with Disk Utility or Toast at the slowest speed available (2x-4x) to assure the best burn quality. Always use top quality media: Verbatim, Maxell or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R are the most recommended in these forums.

OT

Dec 21, 2012 5:50 PM in response to skiingnow4376

I definitely echo Old Toad's recommendation to attempt to create a disk image before burning. At the very least, even if you have to iterate through the burning process a few times to figure out what's wrong, at least you won't have to sit and wait for iDVD to do it's authoring steps over and over.

I recently came up with a somewhat foolproof way of making sure my iDVD projects don't encounter unpredictable encoding issues by preparing the video and audio before import to make sure iDVD will handle them smoothly. If this sounds like it might help you, feel free to check out this blog post where I documented what I was able to figure out. Hope it helps you. Good luck! 🙂

Everytime I try to burn an iMovie project to a DVD with iDVD, the disc is ejected during the Burning and Multiplexing phase before it's completed.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.