Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can an anti virus programme scan the mac hard drive

I have read somewhere, it is dangerous to have the Mac hard drive scanned for anti virus. Is this the case as I have just installed a programme and don't want to damage the Mac in the process.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 11:41 AM

8 replies

Dec 13, 2012 11:45 AM in response to LoobyfromLismore

It's not dangerous in and of itself. But many antivirus programs, particularly those that have automatic background scanning, cause performance issues. And not all antivirus programs are constructed well and may cause other problems, such as misidentifying valid files as being malware which can cause applications or the system itself to malfuntion.

I have found little need for antivirus programs since are no confirmed viruses or worms and only a handful of trojan horse programs which are fairly easy to avoid. If you feel the need for antivirus protection, the freeware ClamXav should be sufficient.

Regards.

Dec 13, 2012 12:37 PM in response to LoobyfromLismore

Basically you avoid trojan horse programs by not downloading files from sites you don't trust, by avoiding apps that claim to be p0rn viewers or pirated software (both popular vectors for trojans), and not opening attachments from emails you aren't expecting.

I'd never heard of that antivirus program until you mentioned it, and it seems to get iffy to poor reviews, at least fo the Mac version, so no, I can't recommend it. Again, the freeware ClamXav should be all you need.

Regards.

Dec 13, 2012 12:43 PM in response to LoobyfromLismore

Trojan's can also be easily avoided by keeping your system up-to-date by running Software Update daily. Apple does an excellent job of updating it's security settings, many of these are done in the background when the system does it's daily, weekly and monthly maintenance. Leave your system on 24/7 and when not being used put the display to sleep. When you do the system should perform well for years.

Dec 13, 2012 1:26 PM in response to LoobyfromLismore

Thank you, one and all. I shall heed your advice. Remove the Comodo and try again to install the ClamXav. I will convert to daily updates. I don't know what will hapen if I click on the ''this helped me'' incon or ''this solved my question'' icon. I don't want to have just one indication that one person has put my mind at rest. But you all have.

can an anti virus programme scan the mac hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.