Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

some refurb advice?

Hi,

I am new to these forums, i'm sorry if this is posted in the wrong place.

I currently have a powerbook g4, which I have used for mobile music recording/production over the past two years.

However I have now upgraded my music software to Pro Tools which places far more demand on my cpu, and it is getting difficult to get the results i want from it.

It appears that I need to buy a G5 to run pro tools, i will then be able to begin projects on my powerbook (mobile) and finish them with the greater power a desktop g5 has.

The problem i have is that i just can't afford to buy a new g5. I have seen some refurb models on cancom and ebay. I would of course have to buy a display to go with it...will a cheap bog standard flatscreen do?

I am planning on having a g5 which will see me thorugh the next 2-3 years to when i can hopefully upgrade to mactel model.

the ones i have seen offer a dual 2.0ghz g5 for just under a grand. I was thinking of maxing out the ram on it as well, which should give me enough scope for the next few years.

I'd really appreciate some advice, or pointers to where i should be looking and what I should be looking for.

Thanks

powerbook g4, Mac OS X (10.4.3)

Posted on Apr 27, 2006 6:51 AM

3 replies

Apr 27, 2006 7:29 AM in response to recall

The problem i have is that i just can't afford to buy
a new g5. I have seen some refurb models on cancom
and ebay. I would of course have to buy a display to
go with it...will a cheap bog standard flatscreen
do?

I am planning on having a g5 which will see me
thorugh the next 2-3 years to when i can hopefully
upgrade to mactel model.

the ones i have seen offer a dual 2.0ghz g5 for just
under a grand. I was thinking of maxing out the ram
on it as well, which should give me enough scope for
the next few years.

I don't know much about the refurbs, but I will just add that you should probably check the completed auctions on Ebay before deciding what you think you can afford. I haven't seen a dual 2ghz G5 go for less than $1000, used or refurb. I know this because I currently have my dual 1.8 G5 up on Ebay and they don't even go for less than $1000, so I've looked a lot. Not trying to plug mine, just saying that they go for more like $1100-1600 depending on what all they have, so you might want to factor that into your hunt.

Apr 28, 2006 12:48 PM in response to recall

DON'T DO IT.
At least not a refurb. Maybe used from a reputable eBay seller. My friend got a refurb from APPLE. It arrived in 3 weeks. He opened it, plugged it, booted up and then proceeded to install software. It froze up several times on him, so he called and they happily took it and replaced it with another refurb. Same thing except this one won't even turn on. So he returned it and got refunded and now sits with a quad core. Name of the game is patience. I had a aging PBook G3 fiewire. It put me through school, rendering final cut, after effects and even starting Maya. I waited and waited, while my classmates ridiculed me while they had their PMac G4 or G4 PBook, and others were buying the Quicksilvers. (Well now I got a slick liquid-cooled dual 2.5 G5. Who's laughing now!) Of course if you can't wait, then you gotta make do with what you got. But I'd rather buy used than a refurb.
Cheers

some refurb advice?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.