Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes 11 freezing in Windows 7

I've been having issues with Itunes since the last version 10 update in Sept. That issue was resolved by rebuilding my iTunes library.

with iTunes 11, i'm lucky if I can even get 1 responsive click out of it. I've tried safe mode and building a new library again and this step never progressed beyond saying "ok".

It continually locks up and has to be shut down via task manager. Any thoughts suggestions (spotify is looking pretty good now).

intel P4 3.4GHz 915 chipset, Windows XP Pro

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 12:04 PM

13 replies

Dec 13, 2012 4:10 PM in response to chrisrcarlson

This issue applies to Windows 7 (in a corporate environment) on a Core i7 6core system (not the P4 system referenced added to my post).

running iTunes in Safe mode as I understand it invovles holding down CTRL+SHIFT will launching iTunes.

I've tried using an existing library as well as creating a new library, and both yield the same result.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes and get the same result.

What is up Apple?

Dec 13, 2012 4:22 PM in response to chrisrcarlson

I do not think this is problem is 32 or 64-bit related, I just used this as a way to distinguish the machines.

I have this same issue on Win7 (64bit). I have 2 computers in the same room that share a library on NAS. One 32-bit Win7 and one 64-bit Win7. The 32-bit machine runs iTunes with no problem, so I originally thought it was related to that. This morning I tried updating all the apps that I have through iTunes.

1. We use multiple Apple IDs. Usually each machine is signed on with it's own ID.

2. This morning I actually signed into the 32-bit machine with the ID that the 64-bit machine usually uses.

3. iTunes now crashes every time on the 32-bit machine. Once I change it back to the regular ID, everything is fine again.

I believe the problem is more related to the AppleID than the software now. But I am still in the process of troubleshooting. Just thought you might try a different ID to see if that helps you.

I learned from trial and error that once iTunes crashes, it does eventually recover and is usable.

Dec 14, 2012 10:46 AM in response to chrisrcarlson

I completely agree. We had just decided to wait until the itunes update hopefully fixed it, but that update didn't. It never occurred to me either to try a different ID.

I just wonder if there's something happening with iCloud too. This AppleID that crashes has far more data in the cloud than the one that isn't crashing. I noticed in the iTunes 11.1 that when the app starts the iCloud icons animate like it's updating or checking something. Maybe it's more related to that than the ID in particular.

Dec 14, 2012 12:20 PM in response to prcdbear1

You guys are up to something here, I have had issues with iTunes for sometime now, issues like the app just crashing, or becoming unresponsive for a long time. I am also running it on a Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit AMD machine, when it failed, I usually had to "kill" in task manager. Now, I recently updated to 11.1. something and I had issues almost right away! The app just stops working, then sometimes it comes back and works again! So, my guess is that the issues are networking related, I am going to do some troubleshooting and report back what I find, but, in the meantime if you guys find any other info let me know!

Dec 17, 2012 12:30 PM in response to chrisrcarlson

Yes, I can confirm that if iTuneshangs, if you kill the APSDeamon.exe process tree, the app will "return to life", other times it does not. Now, if that is the issue (the APSDeamon) gets stuck trying to complete a task, and that brings the whole app down, then iTunes is a sorry piece of software!

Today (Dec. 17, 2012) I tried to start iTunes, and the darn thing fails (got the Windows dialog box telling me that iTunes failed) Now I am seriously considering going back to 10.7 but dreading all the crap I may have to do (recover playlists, etc) to bring it back to how it was before the 11.1 install. Now, since I do some programming, I have a lot of crap installed that most ppl don't, so I need to make sure that there is no other piece of software that is causing / contributing to these issues, I'll let you guys know what I find!

Dec 17, 2012 1:15 PM in response to Leowise

@ Leowise, It seems that since the loss of Steve Jobs (I know I'm making a leap here), that the Apple Software Quality and testing has diminished. Basically, I see issues with my iPhone/iPad where apps don't update correctly anymore. Obviously the Google Maps fiasco, iTunes software stability (the backbone for all things iDevice). Maybe people are becoming too hungry for new versions of (incompletely tested) features?

in a separate post I have a noted issue where I can't drag and drop new songs into iTunes anymore. For that matter, I don't even see where to import songs into iTunes anymore in version 11.

Just a gripe.

Dec 18, 2012 9:32 AM in response to chrisrcarlson

Ok guys, here is some further stuff I've found out (after spending a couple of hrs troubleshooting this crap, I wonder if Apple will cover my time :>( )LOL

- Yes, it is a networking issue that involves APSDaemon.exe, this is what I think this devil does:

When iTunes starts it fires up a request to APSDaemon to contact the Apple store, why? well i belive that this is when a session is established with some Apple services (remember that you have to "authorize" each PC you run iTunes on? ) I suspect that this is when that happens. When APSDaemon comes back and says: "yup, this pc its ok! the app starts normally, sooooo, if APSDaemon fails (now here is the problem, it will be hard to tell why it fails!), iTunes refuses to run, 'cause it is not authorized!!!

Now remember, this is my preliminary finding, there are several "support" processes that run/stop while iTunes is doing its thing, so more remains to be uncovered!

“Well”, you say, “what is the bottom line?” Well, so far if iTunes stops working, and you want to mess with processes and services, you can try to terminate APSDaemon.exe and hope that iTunes comes back! Now as with all other recommendation from your fellow users (mine included!) you are doing this AT YOUR OWN RISK!!! Good luck!

Jan 10, 2013 8:48 PM in response to chrisrcarlson

What I did getting my idea from Leowise was:

- Start up iTunes 11

- Open Task manager

- Go to processes and kill the process: APSDaemon.exe

- Drag the song or folder into iTunes

- Voila! This actually works!!

I do think Apple needs to provide a patch. I don't want to be a geek to use iTunes. The reason people like Apple products is because of its simplicity.

I might just be sticking with my Android phones as apple is a tad unresponsive to this kinda problems

Feb 4, 2013 9:43 AM in response to chrisrcarlson

It seems that my account I was having problems with had about 500 songs that were purchased but somehow were lost locally, but available in the cloud. iTunes must have been checking oout each one of these things. Once I downloaded every track locally, my problem went away.

These were very old songs and unless I actually sorted by the cloud icon on the list, I hadn't noticed them. My library is in excess of 45,000 tracks, so 500 or so were easy to miss.

itunes 11 freezing in Windows 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.