Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow mountain lion

I got lured into making the move to Mac and purchased a MBA (250 GB; 1.8 GHZ; Core i7; 4 GB RAM) recently and upgraded it to Mountain Lion instantly.

Result:

Blew my savings.

Problems:

It is dead slow as a snail. My windows 7 was a zillion times faster and never crashed. This is how slow my mac is: it takes about 2 seconds to copy and 10 seconds to paste in word. my word would just shut down claiming insufficient memory, while i would see about a half a GB just claimed by inactive memory also does not save my autor-recover files. dont know why ? tried changing the save location. I have enough memory (160 GB)

Mountain Lion takes up 800 MB - 1.25 GB of memory. it is disgusting and unjustifiable to how apple charges for all these things.

Tried:

purged my memory a gazillion times. it would still do the same thing.

intsalled CCleaner to make sure i do not have any trash accumulating.

I even deleted all my apps that i am not using. even garage band; messages; which were taking up a lot of space.

Turned off Dashboard - still no use.

I am currently using only 90 GB of my 250 GB hard disk and still have about half a GB of free memory. - Mac is still outrageiously slow.

ive read all i could to see where i could improve. And I do not have anymore time to sit and try to improve this stupid OS that is taking up all my memory. unworthy of my time. Apple better put some fix to this problem, otherwise their end will be sooner than they think it is, faster than microsoft's for sure.

You cant even go back to Lion / snowleopard, cuz icloud wont work in there. Plus you dont get support.

Anybody knows : how to make the MBA faster / make mountain lion consume less memory ?

My question to Apple - Why would you sell such a device, that you cant even upgrade if you knew that the OS was going to take about half your memory and another 1.8 GB for just keeping the essential Mail and Calendar Active; leaving a paltry 200 MB to do all my work for which I paid 1400.00 something ? Sometimes even when I have about 1-2 GB of free memory i would have my apps crash and burn. why would you do this ?

<Edited By Host>

MacBook Air, MBA (250 GB; 1.8 GHZ; Core i7; 4 GB

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 12:39 PM

3 replies

Dec 13, 2012 12:53 PM in response to Samster512

First of all, you're not talking to Apple here, just other users like yourself. If Apple lost your business it wouldn't make a wit of difference to me.

Also, you assume that the problems you are having, others are having in large numbers. Not so. Don't judge by questions you see here because here is where folks come with their problems.

Fact is, ML is more stable than Lion and the vast majority of users have updated w/o issues.

There is clearly something wrong with your system. If you don't want to waste anymore time troubleshooting the problem, you can go back to Lion by erasing your HD and using Internet Recovery. It's a poor solution though. I'd rather see you do a clean install of ML and be careful what you migrate.

Dec 13, 2012 4:07 PM in response to macjack

macjack, please dont take this personal... who in here is talking about apple losing my business and how that will make a difference to you ? clearly you are not reading properly or you are one of the blind bandwagoner for Apple...

To clarify, i was not talking about losing my business... (which is water under the bridge, cuz i should be crazy to waste my time on finding solutions, while the Apple support does jack... ) I was talking about my experience with apple.. so other folks out there who are thinking about making the jump from windows are better informed...

and yeah, thanks for your useless comment, cuz Lion as you say is worse off than ML... and all you have is, clean install it ? my answer to you: been there done that... no use, whats your point ? and if you think i am one of those noobs, i have used the Lion for a year at office before making this jump... The only good thing that got me in is the portability and display... i did not think ML would consume upto 1 GB of memory... i have also tried repairing my disk and repairing disk permissions... Still slow...

so please macjack read well and dont judge.. Btw, could you enlighten us, as to how much is your Wired memory currently ? hat would enlighten me and others about how sluggish this OS can get.. actually, nevermind... pointless to ask a neutral opinion from a bandwagoner...

Slow mountain lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.