Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Mountain Lion no longer support external floppy drives?

A couple years ago, I bought a portable USB powered external floppy drive, because I occasionally found 3.5 inch disks in storage that seemed to have still-useful stuff on them.

I've got Mountain Lion installed now, and just discovered that this external drive no longer works. It makes the usual whirring sounds, but the disk image doesn't appear on the desktop.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a solution, other than going back to an older OS X?

...Charles

G5 iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 12:56 PM

3 replies

Jan 18, 2013 9:33 PM in response to cp_whaley

On my mid-2011 iMac running OS X 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion) I was trying to download and copy onto floppy disks (for an old Macintosh) some software downloaded from the internet. I have just purchased and am using a new generic USB 3.5" floppy drive.

I found that I could read such disks via a USB floppy disk drive but that I could not write to them.

It seems that such disk formats have only limited support in more recent versions of OS X.

There is software called MacDisk for Windows. I just ran it in Windows 7 running as my Bootcamp partition accessed via VMWare Fusion. The software is free to test (with some limitations).

I just successfully copied a file via it to a disk and then was able to read it on my iMac.

Hope this helps you, or anyone else looking to do such strange things.

Does Mountain Lion no longer support external floppy drives?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.