Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MAIL: Can receive but not send emails. It is an application file problem - NOT passwords, ports, etc.

I have been using Mail for years. Out of the blue, several months ago, I stopped being able to send emails from ANY of the 4 different email accounts I use. All of them can still receive. My 4 accounts are all from different sources (Gmail, workplace 1, workplace 2, yahoo) . All the passwords are correct, etc. This occurs regardless of where or how I access the internet.

I read somewhere a while ago that some operating system file (I don't really know the right terminology) related to Mail must be corrupted, but I cannot find that information now. Also, fixing system files is not something I am comfortable delving into without detailed instructions because (I'll admit it straight up) that is above my skill level.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! This is driving me nuts

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 1:46 PM

1 reply

Dec 13, 2012 7:49 PM in response to udibi

Hi welcome to Apple Community, try this, open mail, on mail in the task bar click and select preferences, select account information tab. Highlight the first (top) acct and write down All the info: Acct type description email address full name incomoming mail server User Name Password-this is very important Outgoing mail Server (SMTP) Click advanced tabmake note of the things that are checked ; enable this acct include when automatically checking... and all other settings. Repeate all these steps for each acct. (yes I know this is a PITA) select one acct at a time by highlighting and clicking the minus button (first make note of acct name and type) go thru all the acts in the same proceedure. Then click the plus sign and add the first one back and folloe]w the prompts to create, go thru the entire proceedure to re create the acct. Repeate this for all accts one at a time and you should have recreated the accts and gotten rid of the corrupted one. Hope this helps, SJP

MAIL: Can receive but not send emails. It is an application file problem - NOT passwords, ports, etc.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.