Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Repaired Permissions not repaired

I continue to repair permissions but they never repair. They have to do with the monitor. They are not listed in the list that can be safely ignored. This is a MacBook Pro running OS 10.7.5

Here is a quote of the deja-vu repair dialogue:

Permissions differ on “System/Library/PreferencePanes/Displays.prefPane”; should be drwxr-xr-x ; they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Repaired “System/Library/PreferencePanes/Displays.prefPane”

Permissions differ on “System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/Displays.menu”; should be drwxr-xr-x ; they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Repaired “System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/Displays.menu”

Permissions differ on “System/Library/MonitorPanels/Arrange.monitorPanel”; should be drwxr-xr-x ; they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Repaired “System/Library/MonitorPanels/Arrange.monitorPanel”

Permissions differ on “System/Library/MonitorPanels/Display.monitorPanel”; should be drwxr-xr-x ; they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Repaired “System/Library/MonitorPanels/Display.monitorPanel”

Permissions differ on “System/Library/MonitorPanels/Profile.monitorPanel”; should be drwxr-xr-x ; they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Repaired “System/Library/MonitorPanels/Profile.monitorPanel”

Permissions differ on “System/Library/PreferencePanes/Displays.prefPane/Contents/Resources/hr.lproj/D isplaysPref.nib”; should be drwxr-xr-x ; they are -rw-r--r-- .

Repaired “System/Library/PreferencePanes/Displays.prefPane/Contents/Resources/hr.lproj/D isplaysPref.nib”

Permissions differ on “System/Library/PreferencePanes/Displays.prefPane/Contents/Resources/sk.lproj/D isplaysPref.nib”; should be drwxr-xr-x ; they are -rw-r--r-- .

Repaired “System/Library/PreferencePanes/Displays.prefPane/Contents/Resources/sk.lproj/D isplaysPref.nib”

I continue to get the same list that needs repairing; it says they are repaired, but they are there still the next the I run verify permissions or repair permissions. It's a circle. They all appear to relate to the monitor and they are not in the list of repairs it's safe to ignore although they may be. I run it everytime my computer seems to be running "slow" or hanging and it seems to work temporarily. Then it repeats.

If I boot holding down the command R I get a utility Repair menu but there is no "Terminal" option. I thought I might need to repair User Permissions or ACL (grasping at straws) and all the posts suggested doing the Command R and entering terminal mode and typing Resetpassword but for some reason I do not have that option. I get teh same Utility Repair Menu that I get from selecting Disk Utility from my Applications.

Any ideas? Should I just ignore these permission "repairs" that don't repair?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 2:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 2:19 PM

Ignore them. These are informative messages not errors. They will be repeated each time your repair permissions. They should be fixed in Mountain Lion.

4 replies

Repaired Permissions not repaired

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.