Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Log & Transfer AVCHD file structure, FCP7, 10.8.2

I've been looking around for a definitive solution to this problem and have yet to find one.

As has already been discussed in this forum and others, ML now treats AVCHD folders as packages, hiding the folder structure. I'm aware of the 'Show Package Contents' solution to drilling down through the packages to access the MTS files. However, that doesn't allow me to Log and Transfer the footage into FCP7, which is what I need to do, since the folder structure and names have to remain intact. I would prefer to avoid using any third-party converter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Final Cut Studio '09, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 2:11 PM

12 replies

Dec 14, 2012 9:15 AM in response to clafleche1987

Update: I caved and purchased ClipWrap in order to transcode the MTS files over to Quicktime. However, because the transcoding brings the MTS files in individually, and doesn't merge any clips that would otherwise be merged during the Log & Transfer process, the transition points are imperfect. I'm ingesting long, unbroken clips (~3 hours long each), so the lost frames between each MTS file are frustrating.

If anyone has other ideas, I'm all ears.

Thanks.

Dec 14, 2012 10:06 AM in response to clafleche1987

What camera shot these 3 hour files? Was it a Sony NX5?

Is FCP7 updated to 7.0.3?

I am running FCP7.0.3 on 10.8.2 and not experiencing your problem (but I am also not dealing with 3 hour clips).

If I plug in my camera, it mounts to the desktop:

User uploaded file

with the new "bundled" content:

User uploaded file

which Log and Transfer finds automatically when I open Log and Transfer:

User uploaded file

If I use Disk Utility to make a copy of the Camera Card and put it on a hard disk:

User uploaded file

Then un-mount the camera card, double click on the .dmg to open the copy, and open Log and Transfer, it finds my copied clips:

User uploaded file

from the copied folder. No need to do any drill down.

MtD

Dec 14, 2012 11:04 AM in response to Meg The Dog

I'm on 7.0.3 in FCP.

I'm actually not sure which camera was used. I should have mentioned this before--the AVCHD folder (four folders total, in fact) was supplied to me on a hard drive from the videographer, so I'm trying to capture from the copied folder itself, and don't have access to the original cards or camera. I've been able to do this successfully in the past, using files from a HVX200 and from an EX3. I'm still able to do it with EX3 files and folder structure. We haven't received footage in AVCHD format in quite some time, so I hadn't been aware of the issue until just a few days ago.

On a whim, I created a new folder, named it PRIVATE, and dropped AVCHD into that folder. PRIVATE in turn became a new package--but again, I couldn't get FCP to log the clips.

When I attempt to add the entire AVCHD folder to the Log & Transfer window, it indicates that it's attempting to add the material, but then FCP crashes.

Log & Transfer AVCHD file structure, FCP7, 10.8.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.