Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 11 not showing movies I add from External

I just updated to iTunes 11, and now any movie i try to add will not show up. They all worked perfectly fine before the update, and all of my movies are still there after the update. The weirdest part is that although the movie does not show up anywhere in itunes library (home vides, unwatched, etc.), it shows up on my apple TV under the unknown Genre list. This is very frustrating because I like to have all my movies organized so I don't need to scroll through hundreds to find the one I want. Any tips of fixing this?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 3:24 PM

20 replies

Dec 15, 2012 11:13 AM in response to dunner17

I am having the exact same problem. The mp4 file has been imported into my Library but isn't showing up anywhere in my iTunes Library, which makes it impossible for me to change the title or recategorize it properly as a TV Show. I can see the file under "Movies" on my Apple TV, and when I go to my iPhone Movies tab to "Sync Movies," the file shows up there, so I can put it on my iPhone. The file is seen here in my computer files: Music -> iTunes -> iTunes Music -> Home Videos. BUT IT ISN'T SHOWING UP in the iTunes Home Videos section of my Library. This is seriously driving me crazy.

Dec 16, 2012 3:17 AM in response to dunner17

Personally I use subler prior to importing to iTunes. Sunler allows you to look up the Movie Database set HD 720 or 1080 save and send to itunes and they always end up in the right place. One other fact I have noticed on other streams is that having iTunes Match operating can slow things down by hours in some cases before items appear in iTunes.

I do not have Itunes Match Turned on.

If interested you can find Subler here

Dec 16, 2012 6:59 AM in response to dunner17

Alright, after digging around on the forums I finally found a combination of things that fixed this issue for me. I do not have iTunes Match and never have, but as Steve Taylor1 points out, this could be what is slowing things down for you. For some reason iTunes is scanning your library anyways to find out if the items you've added are in the Cloud. Nosy jerks. The way I jumpstarted my Library and got things to show up right when I added them:

1. Go to Store -> Turn Off iTunes Match (if your menu says "Turn On iTunes Match," then it's already off)

2. Go to Store -> Sign Out

3. Sign In

4. BAM! Everything is showing up under the Movies category that wasn't showing up before.

5. Go to iTunes Preferences -> Store

6. Uncheck "Show iTunes in the Cloud purchases"

7. I also unchecked "Share details about your library with Apple" for good measure.

Now, hopefully, items should pop up in your Movies category automatically without delay caused by Cloud matching nonsense.

Feb 20, 2013 7:04 PM in response to dunner17

I had the same problem, searched a bunch of forums, tried everything that people were suggesting, and after trying everything, I tried what GenOz said to simply add a file to your library using the <Command O> option, and instantly all the movies that I had added before appeared in the Unknown genre section. Still wasnt visible in the movies section, but at least they are actually on my iTunes now. Thanks GenOz!

Mar 9, 2013 8:26 AM in response to dunner17

I had been struggling with this SAME problem since I got a new computer several days ago which was running MacOSX 10.8 (Mountain Lion). For whatever reason, there were TWO movies that simply would NOT copy from my ITunes library to my AppleTV. I tried everything. Ultimately, I went into the AppleTV and did a RESET (not a factory restore). Finally, I clicked on the AppleTV in ITunes, then clicked "Turn off syncing". That effectively wiped the previous Apple TV content, so I set it up from the beginning using the new computer. It took A LONG TIME for all the content to sync/ transfer, but when it did, I noticed those same, two movies were still missing (didn't transfer). SO. In the AppleTV, I re-downloaded the two movies in question and told the AppleTV to "watch later". After they finished downloading, I went back to ITunes and clicked "Transfer purchases". Not only are the two movies showing up in AppleTV as they should, but they're also showing up on the list of movies transferred to AppleTV from the computer (which they didn't before). As far as I know, it solved the problems for me. Sometimes, just starting over is the best alternative. (editorial comment there).

May 9, 2013 3:20 PM in response to dunner17

It is difficult to give an excoriative enough condemnation of iTunes 11 for such a pig-headed timewasting misunderstanding of how people work with their own movies.

iTunes 11 -that suggests eleven iterations of this software, not some amateur Beta version of an arrogantly interfaced travesty of all that Wozniak and Jobs strove to achieve. I could go on but you get the idea, although sadly no one at Apple actually reads this stuff - it's just an automated self serving PR exercise, that gets the punters to do all the heavy lifting. Goodness knows where the employees actually are, even though some of them are pretty bright, if lacking in common sense.

So here's what's wrong: THERE IS NO DIALOGUE BOX TO TELL YOU SOMETHING IS NOT WORKING.

There may be several reasons why your movie won't import, or will import but won't show you it has. The two most common are most likely that it is the wrong format (BUT iTunes 11 won't tell you that - it just does nothing), or that the movie location on your computer has been accidently moved (BUT iTunes 11 won't tell you that - it just does nothing). Without knowing that there's a problem you will go round and round on this like a deranged hamster on steroids as it spins its wheel off its bearings.

For pity sake this is meant to be a user friendly catch all media programme for the masses. HELLO ... HELLO ... IS THERE ANYOJNE OUT THERE?

iTunes 11 not showing movies I add from External

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.