Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help with Upgrading Memory, Please.

I have a 27 inch, late 2009, 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, and would like to increase memory to 16GB. Is there any problem with doing so? And how do I know if the memory chips I want to buy are compatible?

Thanks.

iMac (27-inch Late 2009), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 6:31 PM

6 replies

Dec 13, 2012 6:35 PM in response to K57Ball

Yes, you can - as long as it is a late 2009; check this page (and find your model identifier:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/iMac/DDR3_21.5_27

If you have 2 x 4 GB now, all you need is to add another matching 2 x 4 GB. If, however, you have 4 x 2 GB, you have two choices: take out one pair and put in 2 x 4 GB for a total of 12 GB (that's what I did) or remove all four and buy 4 x 4 GB - your choice. Make sure you match the RAM horizontally.

Dec 13, 2012 6:41 PM in response to babowa

Thanks so much!

I've been having issues with "Not enough memory to complete requested action" messages. When I work I have a lot of applications and files open at the same time. I've kept my Activity Monitor running, and the memory drops pretty low--below 1 GB--on a regular basis. I need all that open to do my work, so I'm hoping increasing the memory will eliminate that issue.

Help with Upgrading Memory, Please.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.