Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I move image files from my aperture library to an external hard drive?

I want to free up space on my MacBook Pro by moving most of my image files to a new external hard drive. I want to manage these image files with Aperture as referenced files. I've read much about importing from external drives, leaving the original image file on the external drive, and managing as a managed reference file. But but I haven't seen anything in the literature yet that tells me how to free up space on my laptop's drive.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 6:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 7:05 PM

The command you want is File->Relocate Original.

This will move the originals of the selected images out of the Aperture library. When you run the command you will beable to select the destination drive and the way you want the folders the originals go in to look.

regards

3 replies

Dec 13, 2012 7:50 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

Thank you very much. This seems to have worked as I desired. I do have one more related question. After I have selected all the photos in a project and then select file-> relocate original, I get:

User uploaded file

I tried filling in the fields that you can see here but it has no effect. What is this?

Thanks again for answering my original question.

Dan

Dec 13, 2012 8:10 PM in response to DanKinney2367

The screen shot got messed up so its hard to tell what part you're asking about. But if you're asking about this part of the window:

User uploaded file

That's were you setup the folders that the originals will go into and how you want the originals to be named (if you want to change the way they are named)

The Subfolder format box defines how the subfolders will be named. IN the image above the subfolders will be named by the image date. A folder for the year, a folder under that for the month and then a folder under that for the day. Then finally the original files.

The name format sets how the originals are named. In the case above they would be named by the version name followed by a sequence number.

regards

How do I move image files from my aperture library to an external hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.