Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration Assistant - import some applications

I have ordered a new iMac today and I was curious about Migration Assistant, when I import my applications from old iMac to my new iMac is there a way to only select certain applications? I have looked at it using my Macbook to my current iMac and there does not appear to be a way to select only the apps I want. Am I missing something or is this just the way it works? Also, if I can't select certain applications using Migration Assistant is there a 3rd party tool that will work that might allow this?

Thanks in advance

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 8:14 PM

5 replies

Dec 21, 2012 8:34 AM in response to iCrizzo

It might be useful to check application compatibility with Mountain Lion before you check applications in Migration Assistant. Not all applications install entirely within /Applications. PowerPC applications will not work in Mountain Lion. For each application you wish to migrate, you should confirm on the developers website that the application has support for Mountain Lion (OS X 10.8 +). Simply stating that the application is supported on OS X 10.6 or higher) is a recipe for subsequent aggravation.

There are important preparatory Apple guidelines before running Migration Assistant. For instance, make sure neither machine sleeps, and that Back to My Mac is disabled in iCloud preferences.

To be honest, I have never migrated applications with Migration Assistant. I prefer to research and reinstall third-party applications as their compatibility and my need permits.

Migration Assistant - import some applications

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.