Skip navigation

Migration Assistant - import some applications

2270 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 21, 2012 8:34 AM by VikingOSX RSS
iCrizzo Level 3 Level 3 (840 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Dec 13, 2012 8:15 PM

I have ordered a new iMac today and I was curious about Migration Assistant, when I import my applications from old iMac to my new iMac is there a way to only select certain applications? I have looked at it using my Macbook to my current iMac and there does not appear to be a way to select only the apps I want. Am I missing something or is this just the way it works? Also, if I can't select certain applications using Migration Assistant is there a 3rd party tool that will work that might allow this?

Thanks in advance

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)
  • sberman Level 7 Level 7 (23,815 points)
    Dec 13, 2012 8:53 PM (in response to iCrizzo)

As this article says under "Wireless or Ethernet Migration", you do have a bit of flexibility in choosing exactly what gets migrated.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4889

I would think at worst if you migrate too much, you can always delete the excess applications once they have migrated.

Enjoy your new machine!

• LousyFool Level 4 Level 4 (2,640 points)
    Dec 13, 2012 8:59 PM (in response to sberman)

Allow me to add:

If you're migrating "too much", delete definitely the non-Mountain Lion compatible apps, or see that you at least uddate them to 100% compatible versions.

For app deletion, I recommend AppCleaner, it helps you to get rid of all sorts of files buried in the libraries.

• Lanny Level 5 Level 5 (4,195 points)
    Dec 21, 2012 8:03 AM (in response to iCrizzo)

With a new Mac, you'll want to use Setup Assistant when you first turn on your Mac. Remember, using Migration Assistant, afterwards, doesn't allow migration for Users with the same user name.

• VikingOSX Level 5 Level 5 (4,805 points)
    Dec 21, 2012 8:34 AM (in response to iCrizzo)

It might be useful to check application compatibility with Mountain Lion before you check applications in Migration Assistant. Not all applications install entirely within /Applications. PowerPC applications will not work in Mountain Lion. For each application you wish to migrate, you should confirm on the developers website that the application has support for Mountain Lion (OS X 10.8 +). Simply stating that the application is supported on OS X 10.6 or higher) is a recipe for subsequent aggravation.

There are important preparatory Apple guidelines before running Migration Assistant. For instance, make sure neither machine sleeps, and that Back to My Mac is disabled in iCloud preferences.

To be honest, I have never migrated applications with Migration Assistant. I prefer to research and reinstall third-party applications as their compatibility and my need permits.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.