Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to exit full screen

Why in my itunes 11 unable to exit / enter full screen ?

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 2:39 AM

20 replies

Dec 14, 2012 4:51 AM in response to kilima

If we are talking about a music track then you have to be playing it and running the Visualizer, or the menu item greyed out since there is nothing to display. Of course if you are running a movie then there is something to display and the menu item won't be greyed out. Control-command-F will get you in and out of full screen: Escape will get you out of Visualizer as well.

Dec 14, 2012 8:16 AM in response to kilima

That definitely isn't my experience. With iTunes showing the music folder and nothing happening the menu item is greyed out and the keystroke does nothing. I imagine the reason for this is that we are talking about two slightly different things: I'm on Snow Leopard. I believe in Mountain Lion there is an option to expand applications to full screen and that's probably what you're seeing.

Jul 12, 2014 11:33 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Command Ctrl F (you can see that under the menu in the first post) will Exit or Enter Full Screen on Apple OS X Mavericks (and a few versions earlier) in all applications. If you hit the new double arrows at the upper-right corner of any application window you need to use Command Ctrl F.... Roger actually answered this early on, but it behaves differently if you use the visualizer.

Steps

1. Make sure you aren't in the visualizer by hitting Esc or Command T (toggle the visualizer in iTunes off or on)
  2. Try hitting Command Ctrl F once or twice in the main iTunes window, to see it enter or exit Full screen mode

Note: If the visualizer is on Command Ctrl F takes you out of Full Screen for the visualizer only, not for the iTunes window. You have to exit the Visualizer with ESC or Command T before you hit Command Ctrl F. Try that shortcut in any Mac application: Safari, Chrome, etc. and you will see it hide your menu bars and go to full screen, hitting Command Ctrl F again will bring your menus back.

Oct 20, 2014 8:21 PM in response to grigory mashtalir

This "Full Screen Mode" is the worst UI change I have ever experienced. There is no clear means by which one can exit this mode.

A word of advise to Apple: "Quit with all this F-ING Microsoft conversion stuff!" This is not the 'Intuitive' UI that has always been the 'Hallmark' of

Apple/Macintosh design. "IF I WANTED AN MS/WINBLOWS EXPERIENCE I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT A WINBLOWS MACHINE!"

Unable to exit full screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.