Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Powerbook G4 17" (2003)

Hi everyone,

I have a problem with my 2003 model PowerBook G4. The notebook refuses to power up fully. When I press the power button, I hear the DVD make a noise, but then nothing. The laptop is powered up as the caps lock key lights up when pressed. I did receive 3 short beeps on one occasion, which I know to be something to do with the RAM, so I changed the RAM for new and I no longer get any beeps, but still no display. The battery is good, its shows that it is charging etc. Is the laptop dead is my question?

Any help appreciated,

Mark J

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 3:17 AM

11 replies

Dec 22, 2012 3:42 PM in response to Knucklesmac

Hello all. I've been having a similar(not identical) issue lately. Please help.

The info: PowerBook G4, screen developed vertical lines about 3 years ago. I had the screen replaced at my local Mac store.

Now... My screen went completely black on me, while surfing the nets.

I don't have the money to have the screen replaced right now, so, fearing that my issue is the screen(again), I bought an auxiliary monitor cable( DVI-to-VGA) as a short-term fix.

Now, I get home and plug my PowerBook into the back of my Sony Z series HD tv....... And....

I get the Mac wallpaper( the cosmos default wallpaper) but, no box to log in with.

I can't see the user account log-in box that pops us before you can access the computer.

I am stuck. Can anyone help, and suggest possible issues, or give ideas to what I am experiencing?

I appreciate all help.

Dec 22, 2012 4:01 PM in response to bvalls06

Hello,

No doubt your screen settings is in correct.

You may not have the screen setup as mirror, but set to extended monitor, which means you will not see the log in screen as its shown on the main PowerBook screen which you have established is not working.

The only thing you could do is boot to safe mode and see if you can change the monitor setup from extended to mirror.

This is the link to help you boot to safe mode. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1455

Best of luck

Dec 23, 2012 6:14 AM in response to Knucklesmac

Hello again, we'll, I've tried the safe boot method as you've recommended. But, unfortunately, this didn't help.

The screen stayed black(on my PowerBook) and the screen on my tv was black, with only a white box in the middle(no actions were possible). I tried moving my finger along the trackpad to see if the mouse icon would show up, or, I would accidentally click on something(even though I couldn't see anything).

No luck.

Thank you for the consideration. I'm willing to try anything else, if anyone has any ideas. Otherwise, I'm convinced that I will have to bite the bullet and have a tech look into it.

Powerbook G4 17" (2003)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.