Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Clock Freezing

Hi Everyone, I would really appreciate your help with this issue:

The clock (in the menu bar) on my mac keeps getting stuck, meaning it just constantly freezes and doesn't update the time. If I click on it, it updates to the correct time and then just stops progressing. I tried resetting PRAM, which didn't seem to work (and I am wondering if this is bc I am using a wireless keyboard and it didn't receive the signals). I also tried resetting the SMC, which caused my computer to go through a diagnostics mode (where the there was a progress bar on the apple startup screen) and the computer took about 45 minutes to boot. Clock began to work propery again after that but (a day later) has now begun to stick again. I've never experienced this before on any of my Macs and would love some advice. Thanks so much!!

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Macmini5,3

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 9:30 AM

11 replies

Dec 14, 2012 11:55 AM in response to jamman85

Hello, let's start with this...

One way to test is to Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, Test for problem in Safe Mode...

PS. Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive

Reboot, test again.

If it only does it in Regular Boot, then it could be some hardware problem like Video card, (Quartz is turned off in Safe Mode), or Airport, or some USB or Firewire device, or 3rd party add-on, Check System Preferences>Accounts>Login Items window to see if it or something relevant is listed.

Check the System Preferences>Other Row, for 3rd party Pref Panes.

Also look in these if they exist, some are invisible...

/private/var/run/StartupItems

/Library/StartupItems

/System/Library/StartupItems

/System/Library/LaunchDaemons

/Library/LaunchDaemons

Dec 14, 2012 6:06 PM in response to jamman85

I'm having the exact same problem. It seems to have started just recently. Do you by chance run this program on your Mac?: http://bjango.com/mac/istatmenus/

Stuck clock seems to have become an issue for me just after updating to istatmenus newest version.

I've not attempted to re-boot in safe mode - too busy to trouble shoot now. Just popped in to see if anyone else had already found a fix. Thanks.

Dec 14, 2012 9:16 PM in response to jamman85

Ok, had to check if it was the same in 10.6, 10.7, & 10.8, but appears so, kind of...

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions.

PS. Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive

You've probably got a couple of corrupt preference files.

Move these files to the Desktop for now...

/Users/<yourname>/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist

/Users/<yourname>/Library/Preferences>com.apple.systemuiserver.plist

/Users/<yourname>/Library/Preferences/ByHost>com.apple.systemuiserver.xxx.plist

where 'xxx' is a 12 digit (hexadecimal) numeric string.

Some may also end in .lockfile in higher osx versions.

Reboot.

Jun 17, 2013 9:32 AM in response to jamman85

For me, this problem seems to have been solved by manually updating my Logitech Control Center from 3.6 to 3.7, which had not happened automatically.

Download link:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/support/3129?crid=583

My clock and Finder menu bar dropdowns had been behaving oddly, I was getting crash reports from LCC itself and from UI Server, and the computer would not wake from sleep.

Resetting PRAM and SMC had not worked, nor had deleting Scroll Reverser which had been on the menu bar.

Am on OSX 10.8.4 on a Macbook Pro

Mac Clock Freezing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.