12 Replies Latest reply: May 5, 2013 6:14 PM by Patricia Bunyard
Jalpuna Level 1 (10 points)

The Mac App Store wants me to install updates that I've already installed.  It finds and updates software on my Mac, just as it should, but the next time I return to the App Store, it says I haven't updated that software even though I have.

Example:  Aperture.  The Mac App Store found an update: version 3.4.3.  Great!  I installed it over a week ago.  In fact, when I launch Aperture and go to About Aperture, I see that I'm running version 3.4.3.  So, why does the Mac App Store show the 3.4.3 update listed on my Updates tab?

I see six updates in the updates page, but I've already updated them.  Pixelmator: updated.  Coda 2:  Updated.  Aperture: updated.  But they're still listed as if they haven't been updated at all.  What's going on, and how can I fix it?

• Kappy Level 10 (265,878 points)

Do you happen to have more than one OS X installation on the computer?

• Jalpuna Level 1 (10 points)

Interesting question!  No, I don't...  but I do have a cloned backup made every night using SuperDuper!  ...could that have something to do with it?

I should note that the backup has current versions of all software too since it was made a few hours ago (around 3AM).  So, in theory, that shouldn't be the problem...  but...  who knows.

Yes. Your backup drive is connected to the computer so you have a duplicate OS X installation. App Store finds every online OS X system that you have and will update each one. I get four of them.

Is there any way to tell the Mac App Store to ignore my backup drive?  And why doesn't it see that the backup already has the updated version of the software?  The backup drive is a clone, after all.

Sorry, but no you can't. It's an annoyance you will have to live with, I'm afraid. You can always ignore the update and wait until a backup occurs. It's easier to live with it than to fight it.

...but that's what I'm saying: THE BACKUP ALREADY OCCURRED.  Obviously, if I check software update before the backup occurs, it would find outdated software, but my backups occur each night, so why does the App Store want me to update to a version of software that I updated to days ago.  In some cases, weeks ago.  Rght now, as I navigate to the backup drive, I see Aperture 3.4.3 there, so why does the App Store not see that?

My Mac is up to date.

The backup is up to date.

...but the App Store still wants me to update to a version of software I've already installed.

This is why I don't understand what's going on here.

Couldn't tell you. Sometime it baffles me as well. I don't worry about. I just keep clicking the Update button until it stops asking. Works all the time.

Yeah, I've been ignoring them for months now, but the list of them seems to be growing, which is why I posted this question today.

• Dah•veed Level 7 (33,655 points)

Is your backup scheme making a complete clone of your drive or is it incremental like Time Machine? If it's incremental, then somewhere back in time the older apps still exist. Does Spotlight index your backup? The MAS knows where its apps are and whether they need to be updated because of the Spotlight indexing of the drives. You could put the backup in the Spotlight privacy pane so it isn't indexed and the MAS should not be aware of apps on the drive.

OH!!!  Good idea!  I removed the backup from Spotlight indexing.  My backup is a clone, not incimental like Time Machine.  This didn't immediately solve it, I assume because the index already exists, but time will tell if it solves it from this point forward.

• Duckfeet Level 1 (0 points)

Jalpuna wrote:

OH!!!  Good idea!  I removed the backup from Spotlight indexing.  My backup is a clone, not incimental like Time Machine.  This didn't immediately solve it, I assume because the index already exists, but time will tell if it solves it from this point forward.

I'm in the same boat as Jalupuna in that I have a SuperDuper! clone backup. BUT, as soon as I did as Dah•veedsuggested, the App Store "updates" disappeared!

So thanks to Dah•veed , his suggested solved the issue for me!

• Patricia Bunyard Level 1 (5 points)

Dah•veed suggestion worked immediately. I just upgraded to ML and still had an old copy of the App on another internal drive under SL. As soon as I placed the other drive's Applications folder in the Privacy pane, the notification to update the App disappeared. Thanks.