Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wd my passport for mac

I've had a passport for mac for a while now a my mac is old and there is not alot of space left. My whole iTunes and iPhone libraries are on this device. It has been fine untill no, but when i plug in my device, it is not showing in finder, only disk utility. I right clicked and pressed "open in finder" and it does. However, when i try to go onto iTunes, which is on the hard drive, this happensUser uploaded file

Also, i've verified disk on disk utility and it says it needs repaired, when i try it wont work, and what also confuses me is that the application that you get with My Passport for Mac says that it has passed its test!I am confused!!! HELP!

ThanksUser uploaded file

My Passport for Mac-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 9:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 11:20 AM

A SMART test is just a quick test of the mechanical portions of the drive. It does not verify that the disk catalog is correct. That's what Disk Utility does, and when it does find an error, not all errors can be repaired. Nor does a SMART test verify that the drive's storage sectors are all still valid; that's what the Complete Drive Test in the WD utility would do.

If Disk Utility has found errors it cannot repair, you can try a third-party repair utility such as Disk Warrior (Alsoft) or Disk Genius (Prosoft Engineering). If those cannot repair the disk either, then there is probably a fatal error in either the disk catalog or in the surface of the disk itself that's corrupted the data. It may not be recoverable, but you can try a recovery utility such as Data Rescue (Prosoft Engineering), or File Salvage (SubRosaSoft). If those also fail, your only recourse at that point may be to send the drive to a data recovery service, which is expensive and not guaranteed to get back any usable files.

Regards.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2012 11:20 AM in response to Asa_T

A SMART test is just a quick test of the mechanical portions of the drive. It does not verify that the disk catalog is correct. That's what Disk Utility does, and when it does find an error, not all errors can be repaired. Nor does a SMART test verify that the drive's storage sectors are all still valid; that's what the Complete Drive Test in the WD utility would do.

If Disk Utility has found errors it cannot repair, you can try a third-party repair utility such as Disk Warrior (Alsoft) or Disk Genius (Prosoft Engineering). If those cannot repair the disk either, then there is probably a fatal error in either the disk catalog or in the surface of the disk itself that's corrupted the data. It may not be recoverable, but you can try a recovery utility such as Data Rescue (Prosoft Engineering), or File Salvage (SubRosaSoft). If those also fail, your only recourse at that point may be to send the drive to a data recovery service, which is expensive and not guaranteed to get back any usable files.

Regards.

wd my passport for mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.