Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sort order in shuffle mode incorrect. Sorts by date added, not playlist order.

When I begin to play a playlist on iTunes 11.0.1, I want to see the play order of the shuffled playlist. When I click the manual field (first field in columns which displays the song number of the playlist), iTunes displays the playlist in the order in which the songs were added, not by the shuffled song order like it did in iTunes 10.

User uploaded file

Songs are still in order that they are added to playlist, not in the order that they will play. Annoying.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 10:05 AM

11 replies

Dec 14, 2012 11:20 AM in response to topperdog

The problem is not what song wil play next, but that you cannot see the shuffle order of the entire playlist, as in previous versions of iTunes. Some users obviously never used this feature, and so Up Next seems fine to them, but it only displays 20 songs and you cannot export the entire playlist in shuffled order, only in the order that songs were added. But many of us used playlist sort order shuffling often, and it baffles me that Apple did not restore the feature in 11.0.1. This never would have happened with Steve Jobs at the helm.

Dec 14, 2012 12:16 PM in response to kilima

I know about the up next feature. it is an extra three mouse clicks for each time you reshuffle the playlist. Old feature gave instant feedback, what you really want, when you reshuffle a playlist. The release of these software programs in haste is making apple's stock price what it is. To many managers, not enough brains. Checking software for bugs is programming 101, and I found all these issues within 30 seconds of messing with iTunes. At least the app isn't as bad as Maps.

Dec 21, 2012 9:35 AM in response to topperdog

Exactly, that's my issue with the Remote app on my iPad and iPhone. Now with the Remote app 3.0 and iTunes 11, all of my playlists, as they show up in the Remote app, are not sorted the same as they are on my screen in iTunes.

The sort order in the Remote app seems to be by the far left column in iTunes... the Manual "number of the song" column in Ascending order only. Very frustrating. With the playlist in iTunes sorted by that far left column ascending, I can drag a song to a different position and that song DOES move to that exact position in the Remote app on my iPhone; that works. But if you want to sort by ANY OTHER COLUMN, forget it, the playlist order in the Remote app does not match what's on the screen in iTunes.

Sorting is apparently only by the far left Manual column, ascending order. I usually like things sorted by the Date Added in most of my iTunes playlists, so all my recent stuff is at the top. I want to see the same sort order of songs in the Remote app as I do on the screen in my playlists in iTunes. It used to be seamless before this "upgrade."

Jan 1, 2013 4:28 PM in response to gapdude101

Hey gapdude101,

Just saw your response this evening. I did a fast search again and I found something that's solved my problem of my iTunes playlists not showing up in the same order on my iPhone or iPad Remote app. I right-clicked on the playlist in iTunes and selected Copy to Play Order, and I saw the play order on the playlist on my iPhone sync in real time to what I had on the screen in iTunes. That seems to have solved my problem. Here's a link to the other article on Apple Support on here where I found this...

"If you like the way iTunes has shuffled the play order of one of your play lists, you can use the "Copy to Play Order" shortcut menu command to make the shuffled play order the permanent play order." http://support.apple.com/kb/TA27500?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Brian

Jan 1, 2013 7:29 PM in response to brian78tx

Hi Brian-

Thanks for the info, but it did not work for me (the link was posted a year ago, for an older version). I have hundreds of playlists, some shuffled, some not; iTunes 11 is not showing the shuffled order on iTunes and not transferring the shuffled order to my iPod either. I think this works if one manually orders songs in a playlist, but that's just not possible in a playlist of 1000+ songs. I would love to hear from others, as this seems to be a big problem for a lot of people.

Thanks!

Jun 5, 2013 2:55 AM in response to animalia

I'm with you guys I cant beleive the column on the left doesn't show what is up next and what just played ANYMORE. I want to see the whole playlist (in random usually) without using "up next". I use this to rate all my music and would wait for a few songs to finish playing before heading to the mac to apply some stars. Please let me know if anyone figures out a "fix" but as best as I can tell it will need to be RE-included on the next version. Agreed SJ wouldn't stand for this over flashiness comprimising functionality.

Sort order in shuffle mode incorrect. Sorts by date added, not playlist order.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.