Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

UNWANTED CLEAR STARS?HOW TO GET RID?

Caan anyone please tell me how to get rid of the clear stars that is ruining my smart playlists and made me accidentally wipe all my ratings off my music!

thanks in advance

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 2:51 PM

12 replies

Dec 14, 2012 3:04 PM in response to rickstar83

In Windows, in itunes 10.x and before, what you would do is select "album view" under options, then right click on the album itself (rather than the songs), scroll to "album rating" in the menu that pops up and select "clear album rating". In Windows, in itunes 11.x and after, what you would do is select "albums" on the top bar, right click on the albums effect one at a time, go to "album rating" and then "clear album rating".

I don't know how to adjust these instructions for a Mac, because I don't own one. However, the layout of the program is probably similar enough that maybe you can use these as a rough guide and see if you can accomplish anything.

The key issue you're having is a problem that I've had crop up periodically for years, which is that itunes will randomly assign an album rating to some albums based on the ratings you've given some songs in it, and show all unrated songs within the album as having hollow stars, which signifies that it is the album rating and not a rating for that individual song. The good news is that you can get rid of the album ratings using the steps given in paragraph one, and it's only a problem that crops up occasionally for an album here and there. The bad news is that there seems to be no way to completely disable the automatic album ratings and hollow stars permanently, so you'll notice it happening to an album or two every so often and have to repeat these steps to clear the album ratings. It only seems to happen very occasionally, though. Less than a half dozen times in 5 years for me, and only with an album or two at a time; Still, it'd be nice to have an option to permanently turn album ratings off.

Dec 15, 2012 10:12 PM in response to rickstar83

You can multi select all the albums you want either by dragging the mouse over all of them, or hold down the cmd key and click on the albums you want to change. Then right mouse click over the albums and select Get Info, The rating field is in the bottom right corner. Set it for the value you want, click OK and allthe albums you selected will now have that value

User uploaded file

Dec 19, 2012 1:36 PM in response to kilima

Here's a way that makes it a little easier if you want to change a lot of albums.

• Create a playlist called Stars.
  • Select all the albums you want to change and move them to the playlist.
  • Make a new Smart Playlist called Fix Stars with the following selections:
  • Playlist is Stars
  • Track Number is 1
  • Live Updating
  • Make sure that you have the Album Rating column showing

• This will give you a much more managable list.

User uploaded file

Dec 19, 2012 1:46 PM in response to Steve Taylor1

You're welcome you Pommy B.......d, as we say where I actually come from. 🙂

How then would you change mutlple song ratings ?

Album Ratings came a while after song ratings and was "patched" in. Someone forgot to make a field for it in the Multiple Get Info.

What's also missing, is the ability to toggle the "Empty Stars" on and off. They are what's annoying people and causing them to want to remove their Album Ratings.

UNWANTED CLEAR STARS?HOW TO GET RID?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.