Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac (Mountain Lion) does not pair with Apple Remote

Hi,

my iMac (2009, Mountain Lion) does pair with my remote. Otherwise the remote (or remotes, I tried two) are working fine with the iMac, it just wont pair.

I need it to pair as I have an iMac and MPB and each having its own remote (each computer should react only to its remote, not the other computer remote)

I googled this extensively, here is what I did so far:

- obviously, trying the normail "pair remote" procedure as the support page says

- checking that infrared remote pairing is enabled and no other remote is currenly paired

- restarting Mac OS

- removing and reinsterting battery in remote

- making sure I am an Admin

- disabling the remote function in Plex and killing all Plex (and EyeTV and similar) processes via Activity Monitor (thought they might somehow limite the OS control over the remote)

- tried the same with another remote (does not pair as well)

This is very annoying.

Can anyone help out?

Much appreciated

Mac Book Pro, iMac, iPhone, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 5:39 PM

7 replies

Dec 15, 2012 4:59 AM in response to den.thed

Hi den,

Does the remote remember which computer it is paired to? I though only the computer remebers that.

In any case, currently there is not remote paired to any computer (both computers have clean new Mountain Lion installations). And I cannot pair any remote to any of my machines. In between, I tried with the laptop as well, and it is not pairing as well. I also tried an (old, still working) third remote... nothing is happening.

Some apps seem to take control of the remote (e.g. pressing menu start Plex on my systems). Could that be the issue? Is there a Terminal command to give Mac OS back full control over the remote?

Or could it be something else? 'Is there an app for that' a la ForcePair.app?

Thank you

p.s. this is the page that I was refering to ealier, not working for me

iMac (Mountain Lion) does not pair with Apple Remote

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.