Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to ban screen sharing ips

Hello, Is there a way to block incoming scene sharing requests? I gave my ip to a friend, then unfriended him and he keeps pestering me with requests. Any help is appreciated, Jack

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 6:08 PM

13 replies

Dec 14, 2012 6:20 PM in response to jelimoore

AT T (the phone company).

You can use DynDNS to set up an IP address that always exists, and is associated with whatever ypur ISP decides your IP address will be this round.

When I reset my ATT modem, I get a new external IP address, and whoever knew the old one has to guess who I am now. If my DynDNS account regualrly updates, then that "fixed external" (chosen by me to be for example edward.scissor.dyndns.com) will be the same but associated with new IPS address.

If your family has DSL, reset the modem and the IP address will change.

Dec 14, 2012 7:16 PM in response to jelimoore

Well, this is bothersome.

You can activate VNS screen sharing, but you do not have the option of setting the port the outside world uses (5900 is base one, I believe). I set up VNC for my Dad's macmini, but used VineVNC instead in default screen share, allowing selection of port and configured the router to port-forward that port to only the mac (given it was only computer on the router, it was not hard).

Either reset the cable modem if the ISP says it will change the IP of your modem and/or whever set up the VNC for you changes the sub-port on the router.

Dec 15, 2012 11:17 AM in response to jelimoore

Then you can't easily prevent anyone from trying to connect to screen sharing, and not everyone who tries will be your friend.

To block connections by IP address you'd have to use either the firewall in your router, if it has one, or the packet-filtering firewall in OS X, which is hard to set up. If you want to try, you probably need something like this:

IceFloor • pf firewall frontend

Dec 15, 2012 12:00 PM in response to jelimoore

You can use third-party VNCs (VineVNC, for one) that have port-control built in, or change the sharing port every day to try to hid under something other than the default.

But I suspect some of the connect attemtps are not people you think. They are automated scanners that try all IPs it can assemble and all port numbers on all of those IPs looking for "life, of some kind".

Your only defense against them shutting down your IP with connect requests is "Denial of Service" detection in the router.

Is there a way to ban screen sharing ips

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.