Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why Won 't The Thousands Separator Work In Numbers?

Hi, I want to insert a thousands separator, a comma, in a number, but checking the Numbers Inspector won't work.How do I get the comma in a number to work? Thanks. Mel

MacBook Air (11-inch Late 2010), OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 9:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 4:47 AM

If your system is set to a language where a comma is the thousands separator, and the value in the cell is a number, it should work. An extraneous, non-numeric character (like the space in the word "Won't" in your topic above) could be turning the value to text.

6 replies

Dec 15, 2012 9:56 AM in response to Jeff Shenk

Hi, I checked System Preferences and found that I'm set for English and the comma appears in the Numbers area. On further checking, I tried again to get the thousands separator and this time I selected the entire column in my table. I was surprised to see the comma miraculously appear where it should. But also, where it wasn't supposed to in the same column. In the column, in random cells, I entered the year 2013 as a date. By selecting the entire column, the year 2013 turned into 2,013.00. So, I guess my new problem is: how to I keep the thousands separator in the entire column without changing these random 2013 cells? I hope you have a thought how to do this. Best regards, Mel

Dec 15, 2012 3:57 PM in response to Wayne Contello

Hi, Wayne, Your thoughts about numbers vs. text just pointed me to a solution. Since I'm not intending to add up the entire column of numbers (only small subsets under each individual year in the column), I could change the year 2013 in the Inspector to Text, which would always keep the year intact as a descriptor, not a number. Now I have the best of both worlds: years within the column as organizers, plus the Thousands Separator for numbers in the same column. Thanks for your help in getting me over this Numbers hurdle. Best regards, Mel

Why Won 't The Thousands Separator Work In Numbers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.