Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Help not functional

Apple Help will not display help. I only get the message, "The selected topic is currently unavailable." The root help menu shows up for each application, but clicking on any of the topics will only bring up that message.

My Info:

This is a fresh install of Mountain Lion 10.8.2

I have a active internet connection, it's only 152kbps CDMA but works fine to browse with Safari/WebKit which is what Help uses.

I have refreshed and restarted Help by deleting it's cache and preference files, twice now.

Strange behavior. I can watch helpd, Help's background process, download from Apple's servers but the Help viewer never displays the information. So far helpd has downloaded 20 MB from Apple's servers but Help viewer displays nothing it's downloaded. The viewer just flashes every once in awhile and displays the same message, "The selected topic is currently unavailable." Screenshot below proves that my computer is in fact connecting to Apple's servers and downloading the information necessary to display help files in Help Viewer.

User uploaded file

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 8 GB Memory

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 7:47 AM

There are no replies.

Apple Help not functional

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.