Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 11 does not play selected song

Itunes no longer plays the selected song when I click on the play button. Instead, it plays whatever it was last playing, even playing a movie when I have Music selected in the sidebar. The only way to play the selected song is to double-click it

The behavior in iTunes 10 was that if I selected Music in the sidebar and selected a song, then clicked the play button, it played the selected song. If I selected Music in the sidebar and didn't have a song selected when I clicked the play button, it played a random song. This is actually how I usually started playing music. Now there appears to be no way to play a random song.

Other iTunes 11 complaints:

The setting in the view menu to hide music in the cloud keeps being forgotten. I have had to select it multiple times. This is a real problem because I use shuffle by grouping, and the music in the cloud does not have the groupings that I have entered.

Instead of showing the number of new (unplayed) items, the Music, Movies and TV Shows entries in the sidebar have a silly cloud icon that does not appear to be documented anywhere, or at least not anywhere that I can find.

For years, Apple has built the habit of clicking on the maximize (green) button to switch between the miniplayer and the full window. (Yes, I know that it does not follow user interface guidelines.) Now, I have to use an almost invisible gray icon which is on the far right side of the iTunes window, but on the left side of the miniplayer. What a pain!

I used to have a smart playlist which included any music that I had never played (playcount = 0). Imagine my shock when I opened that playlist after upgrading and found hundreds of songs in it, almost all of which had been played. (I have NEVER used crossfade.) I had to delete the playlist. It was useless.

I haven't found a single new function that I like in iTunes 11, so it has been an unmitigated pain.

At this point, I find myself wishing that I had never upgraded from iTunes 10. But I have checked online, and it appears that the process of downgrading (to me it would be an upgrade) to iTunes 10 is also a huge pain.

Paul Dobbs

Count me as extremely disappointed in Apple.

iMac

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 11:35 AM

8 replies

Dec 15, 2012 10:59 PM in response to Paul Dobbs

Related problem: In ALBUM view, iTunes 11 would only play the initial song I selected then stop when normally I would expect it to continue to play sequentially through the album. The "Up Next" List would not populate. If I clicked on any track in the album the individual track would play then stop afterward. I recalled that I unchecked the songs of the album (which cannot be viewed in the ALBUM view). I switched to SONG view and checked the boxes and now iTunes will play the album properly. Strange - never ignored unchecked songs in previous versions.

Dec 16, 2012 2:39 AM in response to 911Mac

"Strange - never ignored unchecked songs in previous versions".

Unchecked songs have ALWAYS been ignored.

The whole idea with checked/unchecked is that unchecked songs should NOT play. That is the one and only function of the field. The idea is that you can have the songs in your library so that an album is complete, but that they will not play if the album is selected to be played. BUT, even if a song is unchecked, double-clicking that one song WILL play it, the logic being that you really, really DO want to play it this once.

In ALBUMS, ARTIST, unchecked items are shown as greyed out.

So ... the "problem" you describe is actually the correct and expected behaviour.

If in ALBUMS you choose to play an Album

A. By selecting it and clicking the Play or Shuffle next to the name

• If NO songs are unchecked - all songs play
  • If some songs are unchecked - playing starts with first live and all unchecked ignored
  • If ALL songs are unchecked out ...... NOTHING plays
  • B. By double-clicking on a song

The double-clicked song will ALWAYS play, checked or unchecked

What happens next will follow the logic of A. above.

Dec 16, 2012 10:09 AM in response to kilima

@kilma Yes, the behaviour you describe is what we expect. But, it is not working that way in all instances.

The bottom line is that selection/check mark behavior are a bit more complicated:

• When ripping CDs, only those tracks that are checked will be imported.
    • When playing CDs, only those tracks that are checked will be played.
    • Smart playlists offer a Match Only Checked Items option—only those items that are checked will be added to a smart playlist if this option is checked.
    • When syncing an iOS device, you’ll find a Sync Only Checked Songs And Videos option.

This is taken from an excellent description fomr Mac World:http://www.macworld.com/article/1166469/ask_the_itunes_guy_itunes_tips_and_trick s.html

I have noticed that songs that were previously uncheck prior to the install of iTunes 11 will not shuffle even when rechecked. The album will play but it will no longer shuffle and will no longer shuffle when an album is added to a playlist. Even if the album is added to a playlist with other albums, it is ignored in the shuffle as if the check mark boxes are unchecked/unselected.

Dec 16, 2012 10:43 AM in response to Paul Dobbs

Paul Dobbs wrote:

Itunes no longer plays the selected song when I click on the play button. Instead, it plays whatever it was last playing,

Yes, this is how iTunes 10.7 (and all other versions) works.

Play a song, pause, single click another song, press Play and the first song continues.

If you select a different playlist, select a song then press Play, it will play the new song.

If you select a song in the same playlist, it will continue to play that song until you double click a new one.

Apr 14, 2013 9:44 PM in response to Chris CA

Chris CA wrote:

Paul Dobbs wrote:

Itunes no longer plays the selected song when I click on the play button. Instead, it plays whatever it was last playing,

Yes, this is how iTunes 10.7 (and all other versions) works.

Play a song, pause, single click another song, press Play and the first song continues.

If you select a different playlist, select a song then press Play, it will play the new song.

If you select a song in the same playlist, it will continue to play that song until you double click a new one.

And this is supposed to be good? Sometimes you click Play and iTunes keeps playing songs sequentially (with shuffle turned off) or randomly (with shuffle turned on). But in other situations, you click Play and it plays only that song.

I don't see how this inconsistency is helpful or user-friendly.

iTunes 11 does not play selected song

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.