I was going to rent a movie from the iTunes store for my Apple TV (2nd Gen) and wondered how long it would take to download. The movie is 98 minutes and in HD. My Internet connection is 10 Mbps down. From everything I found Googling I anticipated about 30 minutes. I followed this from the Apple web site:
- Select Movies from the main Apple TV menu.
- Choose one of the following categories to begin finding movies:
- Top Movies
- Search ....
- Find a movie you would like to rent and select it.
- Click Rent. (Apple TV 2nd and 3rd generation defaults to HD content when available. You can also request only SD content availability by going to Settings > iTunes Store > Video Resolution and changing the selection from 1080p or 720p to Standard Definition). Note: 1080p content is only available on Apple TV (3rd generation).
- A confirmation message will appear. Click OK to continue.
My surprise was that once I clicked OK; the movie was ready for viewing in about a minute.
Has iTunes gone to streaming rather than actually downloading?
The Apple TV has no accessible storage so it is streaming all content.