Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PDF - especially from banks (statements) - not downloading properly

Anyone else having trouble with Safari 6.0.2 and Adobe Reader 11.0.0 (on 10.8.2)?

A recent update (not sure whether Safari, Adobe Reader or an incompatibility between them) means that PDFs seem to be getting corrupted.

They (appear to) dowload; but won't open.

Particularly with some bank statements.

TIA!

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Clean machine... no haxies; no Microsoft etc

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 11:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 12:42 PM

Back up all data.

In the Finder, select Go Go to Folder from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-G. Copy the line of text below into the box that opens, and press return:

/Library/Internet Plug-ins

From the folder that opens, remove any items that have the letters “PDF” in the name. You may be prompted for your login password. Then quit and relaunch Safari, and test.

If you still have the issue, repeat with this line:

~/Library/Internet Plug-ins

If you don’t like the results of this procedure, restore the items from the backup you made before you started. Relaunch Safari again.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2012 12:42 PM in response to Mark Sealey

Back up all data.

In the Finder, select Go Go to Folder from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-G. Copy the line of text below into the box that opens, and press return:

/Library/Internet Plug-ins

From the folder that opens, remove any items that have the letters “PDF” in the name. You may be prompted for your login password. Then quit and relaunch Safari, and test.

If you still have the issue, repeat with this line:

~/Library/Internet Plug-ins

If you don’t like the results of this procedure, restore the items from the backup you made before you started. Relaunch Safari again.

Dec 16, 2012 11:44 AM in response to Linc Davis

Linc,

I really appreciate all your help here; thanks!

I keep as pristine a machine as I can and am truly lothe to do anything that will compromise its smooth running.

So - one last time, if I may prevail, please - I have:

AdbeRdr11000_en_US.dmg also dated 2012-09-23. That'd be the installer to put back both:

AdobePDFViewer.plugin

AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin

in my System/Library, would it?

And - to be clear - when removed, remembering that I'm not actually opening any PDF until it's been downloaded - usually by right/CTRL-clicking on it on a web page - how would the absence of these two plugins alter the act of downloading?

I've also noticed that trying to print them as PDFs results in two (no matter how many pages the originals) blank pages. That must be the plugins?

Thanks again!

Dec 16, 2012 2:40 PM in response to Mark Sealey

1. Yes.

2. You'll know that when you try it. Your ability to download PDF's coudn't be any less than it is now.

3. Yes.

You are much too fearful of making the changes I suggested. That means you don't have confidence in your backups, or in your ability to restore from them, or else you don't have confidence that I'm giving you correct advice. If my advice is not trustworthy, then you shouldn't trust it. Get someone you do trust to help you. Good luck.

Dec 16, 2012 3:21 PM in response to Linc Davis

Linc,

Thanks - I have every confidence in you and truly appreciate your help :-)

I'm also curious about the process of downloading files from a web page in and of itself.

I can see why plugins would affect rendering on the (web) page and might corrupt a PDF if they were used to download it.

But I'd always assumed that 'Download this file as…' etc simply used http to get it regardless of any plugin; and is like dragging a graphic from a page, say, to the desktop.

I suppose it can't be or I wouldn't be getting the corruption that I am!

I'm fortumate - I have multiple backups - both as clones (SuperDuper!) and TimeMachine.

I'll follow your advice. Thanks again :-)

PDF - especially from banks (statements) - not downloading properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.