Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which audio plugin types do I need to install?

Hi folks,

When I install audio plugins for use in Logic Pro, there are many types listed. The main ones I recall seeing are RTAS, AU, VST, VST3, and MAS.

I am aware RTAS is only needed for Avid Pro Tools (which I don't have).

I have no idea what MAS is.

Then of the remaining three, I gather all are loadable into Logic Pro (AU, VST, VST3).

Is it necessary to install all of these, or some lesser combination? I ask, because they take up considerable space on my main OS drive (which is a relatively smally SSD).

Thank you very much.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 256 SSD, 1TB HDD, 8GB RAM, Matt

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 5:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 6:33 PM

The only ones Logic can read (without additional wrappers) are AU, so just install those.

RTAS is for Pro Tools.

MAS is for Digital Performer.

VSTx is for Cubase.

5 replies

Dec 15, 2012 8:19 PM in response to Miles Fender

Also please note:

There are some AU Plugins that require the VST version to be installed as well, for them to function correctly... This is actually the fault of the programmer if this is the case as it is not normal behavior but I have come across a couple where if I did not install the VST version, Presets were missing for example... In both cases, the installation notes did mention this requirement.. I just didn't read them initially!

Mar 30, 2016 6:22 AM in response to The Art Of Sound

Stumbled upon this 4-year-old thread but felt compelled to add that I believe that some manufacturer's require the VST be installed for the "Standalone" version of their software to work on a Mac... (could be mistaken if it's actually "required" for that function to work)...

http://support.pluginboutique.com/knowledgebase/articles/51119-interface-types-e xplained-vst-rtas-au-etc

Which audio plugin types do I need to install?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.