Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What Capture/Export settings will produce the best image quality using FCP

Simple question really: What capture/sequence/export combination will produce the best image quality using a Canon HV40 & FCP?

but I can't find any definitive answer?? I have been doing a lot of filming capturing and exporting using the HDV 10800/60i presets but after reading a whole bunch of forum posts from all over, i get the impression that there are other settings that could be used to produce a much better image that I can use for DVD output, movie files for the web and to minimize any loss of quality when QT files are transferred from HDD to be stored for later use. Could anyone please help me achieve optimal image quality?

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 9:07 PM

14 replies

Dec 16, 2012 2:31 AM in response to PatMan001

Using the basic setting you quote will result in the highest quality.

It can be argued that converting or capturing your footage as ProRes 422 will help maintain the quality after multiple operations of adding effects and colour correcting.

However, don't hold your breath, as many of these "improvements" will be so marginal that you will probably never notice the difference.

The best thing is to try both with short test projects involving maximum use of tracks, effects and colour correction to see if you can see any difference . . . chances are, you won't.

Dec 16, 2012 7:32 PM in response to PatMan001

Thanks Ian & Jim

The thing that i'm finding confusing is that I'll capture it in HDV and have the sequence setingst to HDV 1080/60i but when draging a clip into the time line I get the message "for best performance your sequence and external video should be set to the format of the clip you are editing. Change sequence setings to match the clip settings?" The footage was shot on an HDV 1080/60i camera so why would I want to change it? The sequence has the same frame size but a higher fps - thats better than the 25fps of the captured clip isn't it? I've said no to the "Change sequence setings to match the clip settings?" and the sequence looks and plays fine.

Is thiis going to cause issues later on down?

Jim, I'm experimenting with the capture preset HDV ProRess 422, whats the best sequence settings? Will that be the best choice Apple ProRess 422 8-bit 1440x1080 60i 48khz?

Also, when capturing using the HDV ProRess 422 preset; are you less likely to have issues with drop frames etc.

The advice is much apperciated!

Dec 17, 2012 12:05 AM in response to PatMan001

HANG ON!

I was a little suspicious of your first post and your second is even more ambiguous and contradictory.

You said the footage was shot at HDV 1080/60i and later you say "that's better than the 25fps of the captured clips".

It sounds as though you are shooting at 25fps (1080/50i) and trying to put it into a 1080/60i sequence.

If it was shot at 1080/50i it must go into a 1080/50i sequence.

Where are you in the world? (60i is the US system and 50i the European)

Dec 18, 2012 3:11 AM in response to PatMan001

Like most HDV camcorders, the Canon DV40 can down covert to SD. If the box and manual indicate PAL, then that is the SD format that it down converts to (480i50). I have not used a DV40 in years, but the SD down conversion should be available via FireWire out and analog out.

So, the packaging and manual are correct and the interpretation is incorrect. :)

Be sure that the camcorder is set to 1080i50 and that FCP is set to 1080i50.

Did you find the Easy Setup for Apple Intermediate Codec 1080i50? That one corresponds to your device. You could create a custom ProRes setup, but you probably do not need it.

-Warren

Dec 18, 2012 3:41 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Yeah, HDV 1080i60 is fine.

I've found it helpful to consider what format is needed for the edited master.

If you need to print back to HDV tape, then cut a HDV timeline.

If you're not going back to tape, consider AIC or ProRes.

Of course, there are other things to consider (and maybe fret about) with native HDV (like the long GOP file structure of an intraframe compressed format with 4:2:0 color sampling), but if that was _really_ a worry then HDV wasn't the way to. But, when all is said and done, as long as you're telling a good story, HDV is as good as AVCHD which is as good as DVCProHD which is as good as AVC-Intra which is as good as Red which is as good as Fisher Price Pixel Cam. Okay... I'm rambling.

-Warren

What Capture/Export settings will produce the best image quality using FCP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.