Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine

Hi everyone

I have a question about transferring information to a new macbook pro via time machine and the issue of a corrupt setting.

So here we go:

I have gone through three macs over the last few months: 13 Inch Macbook Pro, 15 inch Retina Macbook Pro & 13 inch Retina Macbook Pro.

My original Mac was the 13 inch MBP, then I got the 15 inch rMBP and now I am on the 13 inch rMBP. The 15 inch rMBP had a failed motherboard

and so I now have the 13 inch rMBP.

I used TM to back up all of the time but when I restored to the new mac(both the 13 and 15 inch) I always got a corrupt finder setting when I opened the 'Applications' folder. By this I mean that the finder setting would always revert to its orginal setting no matter what 'view' or 'arrange by' option I selected. This would only be in the 'Applications' folder and no other ones.

I did a verify permissions and found a corrupt applications/DS store file which I deleted but this made no difference at all.

I would back up by installing over the new mac and not a complete restore-hope that this makes sense?

When I did do a complete restore(the hard drive would by erased and the whole system would be restored with TM, then the corrupt finder setting would not occur.

I prefer to do a clean install but have no idea how to get rid of this problem. TM is obviously brining over this corrupt setting.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Charles

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 11:14 PM

4 replies

Dec 15, 2012 11:27 PM in response to charlesbt

I don't think you'll need to wipe the disk. Trashing the Finder's preference file should do:

- In Finder, click on Go in the menu bar, press and hold the Option key to see and click on Library.

- Navigate to ~/Library/Preferences and find the file com.apple.finder.plist

- Trash it, and relaunch the Finder via Force Quit under the Apple in the menu bar.

You can do so after you restored/migrated your data, and it should be good then. Test and verify?

If so, all following backups should also be "clean".

Dec 15, 2012 11:49 PM in response to charlesbt

Trashing the prefs should reset all Finder prefs including view settings. You will then have all the usual features and options to set it again to your likings or needs - within the Finder's capabilities defined by Apple. If the latter are appearing like "trouble" for you, then trashing the prefs won't "fix" anything, of course.

Admittedly, Finder's View options and limitations aren't everyone's cup of tea...

Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.