Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what's lacking in Firefox that I am overlooking

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 7:25 AM

13 replies

Dec 16, 2012 7:44 AM in response to a brody

I've been trying, to no avail I might add, get Firefox to run on a sight requiring java and Flash Player, which I have downloaded and istalled but when I get to a certain point oin the site I get a window on Firefox (15) (and I've tried FF 17 too) that additiopnal software is need to view this information and when I tell it to download that software it tells me there is no suitable software avaoable. I contacted the Site higher ups and they assureed me that if I just clicked the x it would go waway and I would be able to get on the site. But of course that doesn't happen. Everything on Firefox on Windows shen I choose to start up in that. The Firefox on Windows requires the same software as it does on my Mac and when I finally got it to instsall the site works fine with no pop up windows, etc, etc. I am beginning to wonder if it has somnething to do with Java on the Mac. I upgraded per the Apple site and then donwloaded and installed Java 7 about three times. I also downloaded Flash Player and installed that about three times but still to no avail.

Thanks

Dec 16, 2012 8:31 AM in response to charlesfromcorrales

Firefox>Tools>Addon-ons>Plugins, what are you seeing for Java Applet Plugin? Is it enabled?

Open Java Preferences in Utilities. (This is from my 10.6, where I keep Java disabled.) Are these boxes checked or not?

User uploaded file

See also

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/install-java-jre-mac-os.html

http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/java_mac.xml

Message was edited by: WZZZ

Dec 16, 2012 10:29 AM in response to WZZZ

Wzzz,

I see by your handle that you reside NYC. Being a former New Yorker, albiet upstate, I woulds like to take this opportunity to thank you for the email you sent regarding my posts. I ap;lpgoze if I didn't know the protocol ro these communities. I am just getting frustrated by the lack of support form Firefox, Java and the rest of the Microsoft lovers out there. I did not intend to post a second posting about the problems I am having with Firefox on my Mac. and it's starting to bug me to no end. I either have a problem with my computer or a problem instsalling something that the site my wige has to use for her work and I really want some helpful comments on the subjec.

CAH

Dec 16, 2012 11:28 AM in response to WZZZ

I apolgize if I didn't know the protocol for these communities. I am just getting frustrated by the lack of support form Firefox, Java and the rest of the Microsoft lovers out there. I did not intend to post a second posting about the problems I am having with Firefox on my Mac. and it's starting to bug me to no end. I either have a problem with my computer or a problem instsalling something that the site my wige has to use for her work and I really want some helpful comments on the subjec.

Dec 16, 2012 11:34 AM in response to charlesfromcorrales

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

Frustration may be your current condition, but WZZZ is offering assistance, and is wiling to provide more feedback if you answer some of his queries. WZZZ cannot guarantee solution, but will try.

His last response is due to a large amount of "personal content" in your response. While pleasant exchanges are better than personal attacks, they do not always contribute to a solution.

I hope this response is not taken as offense by either you or by WZZZ.

Dec 16, 2012 11:44 AM in response to steve359

No offense on my part and I do apoogixe to WZZZ if I sounded like I was taking it our on him personally. I guess I just wanted some answers and I didn't seem to be getting any place, I didn't knolw the protrocol for such things as this. I would still like some answers about my problem and if you can figure it out more power to you.

Dec 16, 2012 12:13 PM in response to charlesfromcorrales

As said answer the question, but what software was this that needed to be downloaded? I use Firefox 17.0.1 as my main browser out of preference, I have no issues with Flash, I dont use Java or have it installed but on my mothers iMac she does with no issues once again. Be aware some sites ask you to install software thats not always legit, also are you up to date with Flash and Java? Latest version of Flash is at adobe.com, you can type check flash into google and it will take you to adobes site, that shows a page that checks your version. Have you got Silverlight installed? Without the relevant information a vague post cannot help any one i'm afraid.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.