Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best way to sync 2 iPhones with 1 itunes account

I have an iphone and my wife and i share an itunes account. I getting her an iphone and just a little puzzled as to the best way to set up syncing for her. We share itunes music, but she will have separate contacts and calendar. I think I would like to keep things that way, but what's the best way to set her up to sync her iphone? We also have an ipad that we share. Any recommendations?

iPhone 4S, iOS 6

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 12:05 PM

6 replies

Dec 16, 2012 12:30 PM in response to Cumby

Make a new Apple ID for her.

Use it to sign in iCloud, iMessage and FaceTime on her iPhone. In "iTunes & App Stores" settings use your ID.

Now for the iPad you have to sign in "iTunes & App Stores" with your ID.

For iCloud its up to you. You can sync one of your IDs or a third one only for iPad.

For iMessage and FaceTime add both your email addresses Settings>messages and Settings>FaceTime.

Jan 8, 2013 5:10 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

I followed the instructions under method one to allow for sharing of my itunes library with other computer accounts. It seems to work fine. The only problem is that I had my library stored on an external HD to save room on my macs HD. Can I still share it if it is moved to the external HD or does it have to be on saved somewhere public on the macs HD?

Jan 8, 2013 6:18 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

OK, I have it set up where my library is on my external HD. When I go to my wife's account on the mac I can pull up itunes and see my shared itunes library and can access it from there fine. What I cant figure out is how to select specific play lists under her account, on my shared library. I can select itunes settings to sync specific , playlists but it doesnt show any of my created play lists in my shared library from her account? It does give you the option to sync the entire library, but that isn't what I wanted to do in the first place. Am I not going to be able to sync and listen to specific play lists on the second account?

Jan 9, 2013 5:52 AM in response to Cumby

You're getting into very advanced iTunes here! I haven't tried it, but I think what you want is to have the iTunes library database (not the music, just the index) under your login ID, but the music itself on the shared drive. And likewise for your wife; her index should be under her ID. The library file needs to be in ~/music/iTunes, where "~" is your login directory (Macintosh HD/Users/<username>. The index filename is iTunes Library.itl. There is a companion file iTunes Music Library.xml that should be in the same place.

It will take some experimentation on how to make this happen.

Best way to sync 2 iPhones with 1 itunes account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.