Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto Library Manager success but some pictures are rotated, plus previously cropped pics are stretched

Using iPhoto Library Manger 3.8.6 with iPhoto '11 9.4.2 on a mid-2012 MBP with OS X 10.8.2

Manged to recover my library using iPLM after iPhoto couldn't update my older iPhoto '09 library to use with the new version, iPhoto '11. For the most part, it went very well and all the pictures, events, titles, and keywords were transferred to a new library fully comptible with iPhoto '11. However, ther are a couple of realtively minor (compared to losing your entire library) issues that remain.

It appears that ALL of the photos originally shot in Portrait orientation, and kept that way in the old '09 library, have been rotated and placed in Landscape orientation in this new rebuilt '11 compatible library.

In addition, any photo which was originally shot in Portrait, and is now in Landscape, shows up as a squashed/stretched Portrait thumbnail. Once I click on it, it is undistorted but in the aforementioned rotated landcsape orientation. I can then manually chose EDIT > ROTATE and then the photo and the thumbnail shows up correctly.

Confusing to read, I know, but there you have it. Manually going through all these and rotating them is possible (and I will do it if necessary) but wondering if there is a "batch" way to repair this? Should I try the REBUILD THUMBNAIL option in iPhoto or is that a waste of time because the photos themselves are currently rotated?

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 3:00 PM

19 replies

Dec 16, 2012 3:14 PM in response to RiverdaleMAC

I have also just noticed that any photo which was CROPPED in the old library presents with a distorted thumbnail showing the entire picture. When I click on it, the cropped area is shown correctly, and I can even undo the cropping previously performed in the old library. However, I cannot seem to get any changes I make to this photo to "stick" in the thumbnail view. That is, if for example I rotate it and then back out to the thumbnail view, it remains a distorted thumbnail of the entire photo.

Mar 18, 2014 8:00 PM in response to RiverdaleMAC

I've just had same thing happen after rebuilding my library using iphoto library manager 4.1.4.

Did you find a resolution? I'm hoping Terence Devlin may see this and lend a hand. About a fourth of my library photos have distorted or rotated thumbnails and I can't figure out how to fix them. None of the suggestions in the long thread about this happening after a Lion upgrade were any help, since this happened after the Iphoto Lib Mgr did a rebuild; there was no ios upgrade.

Mar 19, 2014 12:04 AM in response to Marytw

This is a 15 month old thread so you need to clarify the details of your problem:

There are 9 different versions of iPhoto and they run on 9 different versions of the Operating System. The tricks and tips for dealing with issues vary depending on the version of iPhoto and the version of the OS. So to get help you need to give as much information as you can. Include things like:

- What version of iPhoto.

- What version of the Operating System.

- Details. As full a description of the problem as you can. For example, if you have a problem with exporting, then explain by describing how you are trying to export, and so on.

- History: Is this going on long? Has anything been installed or deleted? - Are there error messages?

- What steps have you tried already to solve the issue.

- Anything unusual about your set up? Or how you use iPhoto?

Anything else you can think of that might help someone understand the problem you have.

Mar 19, 2014 7:20 AM in response to Yer_Man

Will do:

This is a 15 month old thread so you need to clarify the details of your problem:

iPhoto. 11

OSX 10.7.5

- Details. As full a description of the problem as you can.

I was having problems with my iphoto library -- specifically I discovered that three years of my Events had disappeared, though those photos could still be seen under Photos.

To repair this, I did a rebuild with Iphoto Library Manager, giving the rebuilt file a different name.

The events are all back. But as with the OP's description above, many of the thumbnails now are now rotated, or distorted (too wide). When I click on one of the distorted thumbnails within an event the distortion goes away, but the image flips a quarter turn. I can rotate the image to get it right way up, but when I click on the event heading at the top left of the screen, the image returns to its prior distorted thumbnail.

So when a single distorted image is open, it looks normal but is rotated one turn.

(This par isn't important): I read somewhere that Revert to Original might be helpful. Here's what I found: If I try editing the photo and then click "Revert to original" it returns to what I had before the edit. If I simply open the photo and immediately select the editing command "Revert to original" I get the message telling me I'll lose all changes. If I then I click on revert, the image doesn't change rotation, which is the only thing wrong at that point. And the thumbnail remains distorted and or rotated.

When I open one of these photos in Photoshop I do not get any error message.

I then tried to see what the distorted images have in common. Some are photographs sent to me by my children. Here are the camera that took them: iphone 5, iphone 4, ipad 2, iphone 4s (but i have nondistorted thumbnails made by all of these cameras too).

There seems to be a difference between edited and unedited photos.

1. I have taken one distorted photo, rotated and cropped it, then clicked on the "event" in the upper left corner and the photo thumbnail was normal. Ditto in Photos (not Events)-- cropping and hitting "done" seems to give me back a good thumbnail.

2. In fact, opening any distorted photo and doing an edit seems to create a good thumbnail. Rotating isn't enough (probably because it doesn't affect the image) but actually changing one tiny thing on the image suffices, including adjusting levels etc. So I can fix this photo by photo.

3. And I've found that after the editing change, and going back to the thumbnail (which looks good), I can reopen the image, choose "revert to original" and the thumbnail is still good.

4. Here's another interesting fact: thumbnails of unedited photos often look perfectly fine, but if I click on them the image itself will (invariably, it appears) be rotated one turn.

5. History: Is this going on long? Has anything been installed or deleted? - Are there error messages?

No error messages, nothing installed.

However, I recently moved some travel photos to a new library file using Iphoto File Manager. I then went through my main library and removed some of the duplicate travel photos. I just looked at the travel photo library and have found some distorted thumbnails there too. So this has been going on since I moved those photos.

Interestingly, I don't find those distortions in a third library I made two months ago from a set of photographs that went directly into that library. None of those photos has been edited.

- What steps have you tried already to solve the issue. I've thought about running another rebuild on the same library (because I renamed the last rebuild, I have the original library I was having problems with), but think I should get your advice first.

- Anything unusual about your set up? Or how you use iPhoto? Not that I know of.

Anything else you can think of that might help someone understand the problem you have. Not that I can think of.

Thanks.

Mar 19, 2014 9:52 AM in response to Marytw

Terence, I am not familiar with ways to copy/backup a multi-gig file. I actually don't even know the keystrokes. And file sizes don't show up in finder. I located the smaller (26 GB) travellibrary file and right clicked on it and chose Duplicate, and it started copying the file but only one file showed up when I searched for a file named travel in finder, with a very recent time, which may be the duplicate??? but if so where's the original?.

I know this is elementary kind of stuff, but need to know what one does to copy/backup a file onto a Mac (I can copy onto an external HD). Any idea what went wrong in trying to make a second copy right onto my mac?

Thanks!

Mary

Mar 19, 2014 9:55 AM in response to Marytw

Sorry I have no idea.

Most Simple Back Up:

Drag the iPhoto Library from your Pictures Folder to another Disk. This will make a copy on that disk.

Slightly more complex: Use an app that will do incremental back ups. This is a very good way to work. The first time you run the back up the app will make a complete copy of the Library. Thereafter it will update the back up with the changes you have made. That makes subsequent back ups much faster. Many of these apps also have scheduling capabilities: So set it up and it will do the back up automatically.

Example of such apps: Chronosync- but there are many others. Search on MacUpdateor the App Store

Mar 19, 2014 12:36 PM in response to Yer_Man

Terence,

I have now rebuilt the travel library database using iphoto 11. One cannot choose BOTH thumbnail and data library rebuilding at the same time -- only one or the other. It did not change anything.

But I am interested: I think that I've seen you suggest going to Iphoto File Manager as an alternative way to address library problems. I've described the thumbnail situation in some detail above. These problems arose after using Iphoto file manager. Do you not think that running iphoto file manager might fix it?

Thanks,

Mary

Mar 19, 2014 2:33 PM in response to Yer_Man

"The great thing about rebuilding with Library Manager is that it won't make anything worse..."

I've run the iphoto thumbnail a second time on my smaller file and the distorted thumbnails have been corrected. BUT the images that were formerly distorted are now shown as rotated in the opposite direction--both thumbnails and the photo itself. I can fix them by changing the rotation photo by photo but this will take a long time.

Do you have, or does anyone have, any sense of why the database correction of the dimensions would affect the rotation or are these probably two different issues? And what could I do to correct it?

iPhoto Library Manager success but some pictures are rotated, plus previously cropped pics are stretched

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.